1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion DVD software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jGrahamD, Nov 7, 2003.

1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is multiregion DVD playback software readily available now?

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The playback software (such as PowerDVD, WinDVD and so-on) doesn't really care what region the DVD is.

If your drive is region free, then you're most of the way there. All you need is something like Region Killer installed as well and you're sorted.

Windows will only let you change the DVD region 5 times. After that it locks at the last region you selected. Region Killer gets around this by fooling Windows into thinking that the region has been set.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  4. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think my aging Pioneer DVD rom drive is probably region locked, but I can probably update the firmware. I will probably replacie it wit a DVD burner. Do these tend to be region locked? As for the comment about a moderator removing links, is multi-region software a taboo subject? It does seem strange, since most standalone players are multiregion. Nevertheless, if this is the case then I apologise for starting the thread.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, burners are region locked generally. Note that ALL DVD drives have to be region locked at point of manufacture, that's a basic requirement of the license the manufacturers sign with the DVD Forum .. aka. the music/film indistry cartel. The fact that we can buy them region-free is due to third-parties unlocking them. Often this merely activates 'hidde' key sequences which are included in the drives for diagnostic and other purposes, Joe Public is never meant to know they're there.

My comments about link removal are based on the fact that this software is technically illegal due to the new copyright law foisted on us by the EU/US/MPAA/RIAA which makes it a crime, punishable by imprisonment according to some, to use a 'circumvention device' to overcome the customer-hostile restrictions imposed by the pigopolists in the MPAA and RIAA.

Many PC DVD drives can be unlocked by flashing a new, cracked BIOS, these can be found in many places, one being here.

6. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can use dvddecrypter to rip your files to your PC and remove region encoding (any region disk on any region drive) and play the vob files through a software player.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not if the drive is region locked to a different region you can't ;)

Decrypter needs access to the disc, access it can't have if region protection is in operation.

8. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been running this since I built my PC and it has allowed me to play my R1 and R3 discs with zero hassle. Admittedly I don't have any RCE discs but, if you want a simple way of playing all regions, I am happy to recommend it.

_

10. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, when I get my projector, I'll give the 21 day trial a go. On another note, Underscore, I see that you are using Theatertek. I'm hesitant to buy this, especially as it costs more that a standalone DVD player now. Do you think the cost is justified? Would you say the image is any sharper than the likes of PowerDVD and WinDVD?

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    TT produces a considerably sharper, clearer image than PowerDVD XP 5 on my AE300 on a 92" screen.

Recently I had cause to play part of X-Men 1.5 on both, the scene where Wolverine is shown the hangar underground if you know the film. There's a shot from behind the aircraft's wing, which on TT was sharp and well defined, whereas PDVD seemed out of focus and more 'grainy'.

PDVD is great on PC monitors, that's what it's developed for, it loses a lot on the large screen, mainly down to the inferior MPEG decoder it uses.

I dislike intensly their refusal to provide a demo version, but that's how it is, though I've never read anyone complain they failed to get a refund if they requested it prior to activating at the end of the 7-day 'grace' period.

12. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was afraid you were going to say something like that. Looks like another £43 going.

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :D ... well you could always use PowerDVD and see how you get on with it .. also your comment about TT being more expensive than a stand-alone player begs the question: just what quality is that player. ;)

14. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH, the reason I use TT is that the user interface is so good. I do have WinDVD installed - came free with my motherboard - but I only really use it for playing back recordings made using the DigiTV. Have watched bits of DVDs with it but my version lacks things like deinterlacing control and only has rudimentary aspect-ratio control so I've never considered it as an alternative to TT. The picture from TT is stunning, so I happy with it.

Is the cost justified? Ultimately, HTPC is still niche so TT can't have a huge market; I guess £43 ain't so bad considering that. Also Zoomplayer is, I think, £20 now without including the filters so, again, £43 doesn't sound too bad. Let's consider the software I've bought for my two PCs recently:

MS win2k OEM: ~£100
    TT 1.5: $70 (~£43)
    DVDRegionFree: $40 (~£25)
    Jasc PaintShopPro 8: £53

Based on that I would say that DVDregionFree is expensive for what it does but TT looks to be about right for a product of its nature.

HTH,

_

15. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been looking at various wireless remote devices to control the PC from another room. Most cordless mice seem to have a very low range, whereas the range on cordless gamepads is much longer. Assuming you can map gamepad keys to the keyboard, could TT be controlled using such a device? (OK, so it might not look cool)

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Out of interest, what made you choose this over AnyDVD? I see AnyDVD has started to support the ripping of protected audio CDs.

17. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Have you looked at the Gyration range of products? The range on those devices is really good, way more than is needed for most people.

18. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I have looked at the Gyration mouse. The problem is, I'm about to spend £1200 on a projector, so for the moment have a limited budget for accessories. A cordless gamepad is £29 and has a range of about 5m. It may not be elegant, but if it works it would be better than rushing upstairs (computer is located in room above projector).

19. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just that I had never heard of AnyDVD until this thread! When I was looking, only DVDRegionFree seemed to get mentioned...

_

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use an ATI Remote Wonder which isn't the most popular remote device but there's a TT plug-in which works fine ... distance is several metres AFAICR.

21. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay :), just wondered since they both do a very similar job, not sure if there isn't some common ancestry. AnyDVD hasn't been around too long and it took a while to stabalise, works well now and has some nice features like being able to run external programs based on the type of media inserted, change video resolution/refreshes etc.

22. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this would be the case as well, but I tried it and it worked for me! I just got a message saying that the region code of the DVD software and hardware didn't match so the decrypting process was just going to take a little longer. I was as shocked and in as much disbelief as you probably will be! :smashin:

23. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have to say I thought DD works on mis-matched regions, it uses brute force to crack the key if this is the case, but couldn't test it. :)

24. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never tried the "brute force" method.

Decrypter always notifies me if the region is mismatched so I just change the region - drives all firmware flashed to RPC1.

Will check it out later :)

25. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the bulldozer school of delicacy appreciation, and brute force is the first lecture!