1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion DVD players in USA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thestorm, Apr 7, 2001.

1. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi All

I own the excellent Sony DVP-725D multiregion player and mostly R1 disks and remaining are R2 and sausey R0 disks! :eek:
    In total I have about 35 very special dvd's.

I hope to be moving to USA, I may take my Sony with me. And definetly all my dvd's.
    But if i decide to leave my Sony behind...

Are there any places as excellent as www.techtronics.com that will be able to provide me with a multi-region player?
    Can anyone recommend good online USA sites for this? What are the pros and cons?

Also have there been any problems with taking loads of dvd\cd's from UK to USA? I've heard of people getting taxed to their eye balls when bringing back half a dozen or so dvd's from their holidays. :confused:

If there is anything else u folks can advise me on, on this topic I'd be glad to listen!

Thanks in advance,

Cya,
    Shaz

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Some issues to consider:

US players are usually NTSC only, so even modified to multiregion they may not play European R2 PAL or general R0 PAL discs.
    In other words the multiregion modification would not make much sense unless you are into Jap. R2 or Asian R3.

Furthermore the power supply could become a problem, check if your 725 can work at or be switched to 110V / 60Hz.

When migrating you should be allowed to ship any personal stuff taxfree to the country of destination though - depending on that country - it might be that it must have been purchased as much as 12 months earlier and you will need to produce the receipts to prove it.
    As well censorship could restrict the import of certain DVDs, perhaps not so much an issue when moving to the US as opposed to when moving to Malaysia. ;)

3. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Reiner

My dvd player outputs ntsc and pal.
    When I get to USA if I purchase an NTSC\PAL TV i'm sure things will be ok, won't they? :confused:
    My Panasonic 36 PF10 was able to display both ntsc and pal.
    Voltage is just minor thing, I'll just need a voltage doubler which will be about $20 or so for a single device.

But when I get there I'll also buy a r1 only dvd player. Possibly a Sony DVP-S7700. :D

Cya,
    Shaz

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Therein lies the problem I'm afraid.

The only display devices that I know of Stateside that can display a PAL signal are plasma screens and Front projectors (maybe computers with DVD ROM too, I don't know). I hope I'm wrong, but I read a lot of American Home Theater publications; when PAL compatibility is present it is always mentioned, and it's never been mentioned on any tests of direct view TV's I've read.

I'm afraid you won't get much (useful) information from retailers over there either. They know their own market & products very well, but don't have a clue about the rest of the world (bit like their foreign policy ;) ).

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Confucius ]

5. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate got a long term posting to San Jose, (maybe he could give Dionne Warwick a clue), anyway a visit to Frys was enough to get a cheap telly and dvd player.

If you take your stuff with you and your coming back, have the receipts somewhere to save yourself paying for customs.

Have a nice day y'all