1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiregion chip or a firmware update?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jedi55, May 19, 2004.

1. jedi55

jedi55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a region free Pioneer DVR5100. Which is better, a multiregion chip or a firmware update.

Many thanks

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Most multiregion upgrades now are firmware upgrades or use a special remote (at least for japanese brands). If you have a standard non multiregion vanilla dvd player you often have to send it to the multiregion conversion company for the firmware to be upgraded as they won't send you the firmware disc to do it yourself because it would then be quickly copied and distributed meaning they would get far less business for upgrades. I'm not saying it isn't a chip in this case but the use of chips seems to get rarer by the day.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Pio 5100 is multi-region enabled using a firmware update disc, Pio players are done using an IR code.

No one is better than the other, they both involve getting into the firmware and changing a couple of settings to enable all regions.

HTH

4. jedi55

jedi55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you. A quick, clear and simple answer, how refreshing. So firmware is ok, thats great. I'm getting my dvd recorder from Home Cinema Heaven. Is this a good company?

Thanks

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Me, I dunno mate - I don't tend to need to buy things from other AV suppliers!!! You could try doing a search and see what that pulls up