Question Multipurpose TV 50" plus

daveatfernie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have an LG 50PX990 plasma I bought after it's glowing reviews on AV Forums to replace a Pioneer 436XDE. I've regretted the decision since as the LG wasn't a patch on the pioneer but I had money at the time and wanted 3D and a larger screen. Anyhow, I'm reluctant to read the reviews after being burned previously and would prefer input from owners this time.
I'm after a 50 inch plus TV for tv watching (streamed from a Mac mini) and gaming (Xbox one at the moment with a view to a project Scorpio).
Cbeebies has a large viewing time on the TV so I'd prefer something that didn't end up with screen burn. I'd like the TV to last at least 3 years and have about 1K to spend.
I like the idea of an OLED but don't think the budget stretches to this.
I'd like 4K HDR for future proofing
I'd be interested to hear views from people in the same boat who are overwhelmingly pleased with their purchase :) I'm after a tv owner who'd give an unreserved 5 stars to their set that puts a smile on their face when they watch it.
Thanks in advance.

I would not consider upgrading unless you can afford an OLED or at least a Panasonic DX-902 LCD.

This may help you:
Thinking of replacing your plasma?

There are also disadvantages going to UHD from HD:
UHD vs FHD

But this is my personal opinion, some people are happy going the Plasma > LCD route and don't mind the differences in technology and even though technically most OLEDs have inferior motion to some Plasma TVs people are also happy with those.

I would say for 1k look at the LG 910v OLED, its a FHD model and available curved only. Otherwise try take a look at a Samsung 55KS7000 or KS7500 LCD and see how you think it compares to what you currently have. Some stores like richer sounds (other hifi stores alike) can arrange a demo in a room for you (judging pq in a brightly lit showroom does not make for the best comparison).

I understand your viewpoint with reviews, but in many reviews users opinions are farther wayward, ones persons Fiat is an other persons Ferrari. Getting a demo of the TV in the flesh and the ability to return it if you aren't satisfied will be a boon for you.

As for owners that are happy, @dmw3 went from a Plasma to the 910v OLED and I saw recently @choddo went from a Plasma to an Samsung KS7000 LCD. Obviously everyone sees things differently and they had different Plasma models than your LG but if they don't mind maybe they can chip in.

Hi all,
I currently have an LG 50PX990 plasma I bought after it's glowing reviews on AV Forums to replace a Pioneer 436XDE. I've regretted the decision since as the LG wasn't a patch on the pioneer but I had money at the time and wanted 3D and a larger screen. Anyhow, I'm reluctant to read the reviews after being burned previously and would prefer input from owners this time.
I'm after a 50 inch plus TV for tv watching (streamed from a Mac mini) and gaming (Xbox one at the moment with a view to a project Scorpio).
Cbeebies has a large viewing time on the TV so I'd prefer something that didn't end up with screen burn. I'd like the TV to last at least 3 years and have about 1K to spend.
I like the idea of an OLED but don't think the budget stretches to this.
I'd like 4K HDR for future proofing
I'd be interested to hear views from people in the same boat who are overwhelmingly pleased with their purchase :) I'm after a tv owner who'd give an unreserved 5 stars to their set that puts a smile on their face when they watch it.
Thanks in advance.

I am one of those cannot watch an LCD for too long types, I just don't like them. There are more of us on the OLED and Plasma forums.:)

Gaming , how seriously do you game. That might be a deciding factor as LCDs are at the £1000 price point better for gaming by and large. To be expected really as, LCD/LED tech was invented for displaying computerised graphics.

Screen Burn: do not look at sets in Currys and judge any burn on them and treat that as an indicator of potential problems in a domestic environment. OLEDs have a correcting cycle that they use to avoid burn but require the set to be put in stand by to start the cycle. Not turned off at the mains like they do in Currys every night. I have had my 910v since October and no screen burn despite the fact that the other half likes channels that with banners and logos and, loves pausing TV for a couple of hours to do something else. Screen burn is probably only a concern if you game a lot and don't take burn into consideration i.e. pausing a game for hours without turning the TV off etc. It's pretty much not something you should be overly worried about.

Another fact is going OLED on your budget means forgoing UHD, 4k and HDR by buying a LG910V. The switch to 4k and HDR isn't happening with anything like the speed that SD to full HD did. Most content is subscription only, premium subs. Sport is fairly well catered for if you want to pay for BT TV and enjoy football. If you watch a lot of Netflix or Amazon prime then there is content there providing, you have a broadband connection that can cope with the data levels required. The same is true of blockbuster movies providing you want to pay out for UHD discs and a player now or in the near future. Notice that this could get very expensive, getting UHD content because, there is no BBC UHD channel in the pipeline or similar, almost all UHD content costs extra.

If however, you tastes lean more towards drama and broadcast TV, BBC Channel 4 etc then UHD content is pretty much non existent. In fact you would need a hubble sized telescope to see it coming :laugh:. None of the big major broadcast global dramas are being made in UHD from GOT to Poldark from the Walking Dead to Dr Who, even the new HBO one, Westworld. So for consumers like me, UHD isn't going to be something I need now or probably in the next few years, because it's not there. For you it may be different, so do consider that. Note this is from someone who bought the first full 1080p consumer plasma, I'm not a Luddite, UHD is the future just not the near future for some.

From what you have said, whether to go UHD or not will depend on whether you plan on upgrading to a UHD console. In which case go down the LCD route, or up the budget by 50% and hope you can pick up a LG B6 OLED in the easter sales for £1500.

My advice go to a Richer Sounds, they have their Tvs set up for SKY, so you can view your potential purchase with realistic sources, you can view SD and HD, as well as 4k and HDR when making your decision and, if you ask they will let you have the remotes to turn off all the processing junk like sharpness and motion. It might not be a proper AV demo but it will reflect how your TV behaves at home, unlike the big box stores that have those USB lets show off the TV and not it's flaws, videos running. Just remember showrooms are brightly lit, so a TV that looks dull won;t look dull when you get it home.

ETA another thought. any new TV will be a lot lighter in terms of weight than your plasma. they are easily knocked over, a fast moving cat could do it. So as you have Cbeebies watching kids you may need to look at your mounting/stand. I have my 910v mounted on a VESA cabinet mount to secure it place ( large bouncy Bull terrier) new Tvs are not the big weighty tanks that plasmas were

Last edited:
Yeah I had a 42" Panasonic PF11 panel then a 50" PZ80, both of which I loved. Albeit the panel had some green fringing on mega-high contrast stuff like Sin City and both had a bit of colour banding but most sources looked really solid and rich. Still using the PZ in the extension.

More than happy with the 55KS7000 for less than £900. As I mentioned in the other thread, viewing angle needs to be fairly straight on to get the best blacks it can do, which are decent. But in return you get a very thin screen, almost no bezel, superb colour reproduction, motion handling, support for 4kHDR. I've watched a lot of stuff on it now and got to the point where I'm not examining it much any more.

I just put the first 15 minutes of the Martian (Sky UHD) on and it looks gorgeous.

A friend treat himself to a Sony KS7000. How does that stack up compared to the dx-902?
I game a fair amount. I'd say up to 20 hours a week. I noticed IR on my set early on until I'd aged it but my main disappointment is that even when calibrated it's not amazing like the pioneer was.
The 1080 set is looking like the best option be it oled or led backlit LCD.
Do the oled sets suffer with IR like plasmas?

Yeah I had a 42" Panasonic PF11 panel then a 50" PZ80, both of which I loved. Albeit the panel had some green fringing on mega-high contrast stuff like Sin City and both had a bit of colour banding but most sources looked really solid and rich. Still using the PZ in the extension.

More than happy with the 55KS7000 for less than £900. As I mentioned in the other thread, viewing angle needs to be fairly straight on to get the best blacks it can do, which are decent. But in return you get a very thin screen, almost no bezel, superb colour reproduction, motion handling, support for 4kHDR. I've watched a lot of stuff on it now and got to the point where I'm not examining it much any more.

I just put the first 15 minutes of the Martian (Sky UHD) on and it looks gorgeous.
:D Good.

Same here with my 910v. had a 42pz70 before that. I just find LCD pictures even on good mid to high end sets a bit flat and over processed, I was surprised at this thought it was just the cheap couple of hundred quid from Argos TVs my mates have that gave me this issue but nope it's the tech. Might be my age, I grew up with CRT and proper film projectors my Dad had one, I just find LCD screen for TV viewing irritates the pants off me and I'm not alone, got my 910V and I'm in picture heaven, it has that old fashioned cinematic depth that even my plasma lacked. It's the contrast and blacks I think. Yet I can quite happily game on my PC's LCD screen for hours.

It is a very personal thing. that's why I say to anyone coming here, try before you buy, don't go by reviews

I'm 50 this year, I don't watch sport, or blockbusters and l am basically a Guardian reading BBC loving BAFTA drama watching viewer. My idea of fast motion is watching someone shoot a walker whilst running on TWD:laugh:

The KS7000 is an edge lit TV so mainly falls behind the DX-902 separating darks from brights especially with HDR when the lights are on full. The DX-902 has 512 zones behind the screen that helps eliminate this. The DX-902 also covers more colour in the HDR spectrum.

The Samsung does have lower input lag for games which is nice, but the Panasonic is low enough so it doesn't matter. Both tv's are outstanding value.

The Samsung will give you a taste of decent HDR
The Panasonic is closer to what HDR is supposed to be about.

But for not much more than the Panasonic you can get the heavily reduced LG B6 OLED which overall is a much better TV, especially with SDR content.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom