Multipurpose Media Room Design/Layout Advice

triumphnpower41

Novice Member
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if any of you helpful media guru’s of this forum could please provide feedback and/or recommendations on my currently designed media (multipurpose) room -based on the following attached plans (including layout/dimensions, basic electrical/conduit plan, as well as the likely media equipment I will be using). Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the room to be a perfect rectangle due to plan requirements of front of house. It will be a multipurpose media room for gaming, movies, playing music (via pc daw/mixer), including a walk-in robe to house most of my media equipment. The light in the room will be well controlled if required, due to block out curtains etc.

The focus is a minimalist simple setting, with as little at the front of house as possible (hidden media equipment/cabling etc).

02MEDIA 3D VIEW02.JPG
01MEDIA DIMENSIONS 2D.JPG

02MEDIA ELECTRICAL CONDUIT PLAN.png

EQUIPMENT :

FRONT OF HOUSE:
• 150” – 135” Fixed Projector Screen:
150” Elite Screens AEON Series AR150WH2, 16:9, Size: 3324mm x1816mm, gain: 1.1, material: CineWhite, cost: $1799 AU

Or

135” Elite Screens AEON Series AR150WH2, 16:9, Size: 2994mmx1684mm, gain: 1.1, material: CineWhite, cost: $1399 AU

• Soundbar type of home theatre system :
Samsung HW-Q950A XY 11.1.4ch Soundbar with Dolby Atmos (approx. $1900-$2000 au)

Or

SONY HT A9 - Home Theater System (approx. $2500 when I arrives in Australia??)

Note going for minimalist type of soundbar/home theatre system, as im not keen on getting an amp/receiver, or having heaps of speakers.

• Low lying built-in cabinet to act as stand for soundbar and hide accompanying cabling.

WALK-IN WARDROBE (to house/hide media devices):

• HDMI Spitter of some kind (to connect all my media sources):

4 INPUT HDMI 2.0 4K @ 60HZ SWITCHER WITH AUDIO EXTRACTOR ($129.00)

or
HDMI 2.0 18GBPS 4 INPUT 2 OUTPUT MATRIX SWITCHER SPLITTER W/ AUDIO SPLITTER ($199.00)
HDMI 2.0 18GBPS 4 Input 2 Output Matrix (auselectronicsdirect.com.au)

• + All Media equipment
o PC (GAMING+MEDIA)
o PS5
o FETCH/NVIDIA SHIELD
o AUDIO INTERFACE/MIXER

PROJECTOR (mounted to ceiling)
• BENQ TK700STi Gaming Projector (approx. $2500)

Major concerns/considerations/request for feedback:

1. General layout of room including PowerPoints/datapoints and conduit plan. Do I have enough points, and will my layout allow for max flexibility (if I have to replace cables down the track etc.}?

2. Size of screen. Prefer bigger 150” option as it will fit, and I don’t mind sitting close to a big screen, my eyes will be about 3.5m from screen (if I want room for soundbar satellite speakers behind couch). Is this too close?
Also, FOH wall size is 5.00m x 2.40m (ie. not high ceilings), so im also a little concerned whether or not ill have enough room below the screen (for inbuilt wall cabinet and soundbar). It means the top of screen will have to be very close to the ceiling. And since the actual projector will be about 30cm below the ceiling (due to mount and lens offset), I may have to slightly tilt the projector to an upright angle (therefore not being level) to get top of image as close to ceiling as possible – would this be a major problem??

3. How to connect (correct order?) devices to and from soundbar, ie. connection between soundbar, projector, media splitter and media devices. I know the Samsung soundbar and the Benq Projector both have eArc.

I was thinking that all my media devices in wardrobe would be connected to the HDMI switcher (4 inputs), and a single HDMI chord connects from the output of the HDMI switcher to a single input of the soundbar (one of the 3 inputs). And finally, there is a HDMI chord between the eArc of the Soundbar and the eArc of the Projector. Is this the correct way to do things, ensuring I get all the correct Video and Audio formats (including D Atmos etc) to pass through correctly???

4. Being able to control media devices via remote?? Wardrobe will be open while using room, so hopefully this wont be a problem??

5. Temperature control in media room and walk-in wardrobe. Ive decided to have this media room with its own zonal control of air conditioning from the rest of the house, with a vent in the main room. Where is the best position?? Im guessing not in the line of sight of the projector rays.

6. Also, what’s the best way of ensuring the walk-in robe will be cool, considering this will house most of the media equipment. I was considering adding a small a/c vent in the WIR as well. Or do I simply need an outlet or fan for heat to escape?? Ill keep the door open, but will this be enough for keeping the pc, consoles etc cool??

7. Anything that I have missed??

Any feedback regarding my media room design is very much appreciated.
Cheers 😉

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom