Multiple Zones with Smartphone Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by adamroutley, Feb 2, 2014.

1. adamroutley

adamroutley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys.

New to this whole home audio thing but would like some info.

I have just bought a new home and should be moving in middle of March. I'm quite savvy with my hands so will be doing the install myself.

What I would like:

Ceiling speakers in Lounge, Kitchen, Bathroom, two Bedrooms and Decked Area.

I would like these to be controlled and stream from my Android Smartphone. I would like them to have zones, for example - kitchen and decked area would be a zone1. Then lounge zone2. Bedrooms zone3 and bathroom zone4.

Any help and advise would be hugely appreciated. How many zones are you guys running and how?

2. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    There are so many ways of doing this sort of thing these days but one word of advice is that if this is only to be the start of controlling various things within your new home from a smart device then consider how you add other equipment without the need to have a dedicated app for each product/manufacturer, etc or how things might inter-work together for example how you control the sources whether its streaming Last FM/Rhapsody/TuneIN Radio, local music store with MP3/FLAC, etc

One suggestion would be to have a Control4 solution with 4-zone amp and use the Android app to control. I'm sure others people have lots of good suggestions too

3. adamroutley

adamroutley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That's fantastic. Thanks buddy. Will do some research on Control4. I've heard Ethernet cabling is used a fair bit throughout this site so may incorporate that where necessary

4. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    No worries let me know if you want any more advice. Yes Ethernet cabling is good to install if you can that's generally called Cat5 or Cat6. Cat 6 being the newer and most preferable cable for futureproofing what you are installing. For your speaker you might want to check out QED 79 cable. Again just my personal view others will have other recommendations

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Have a look at Loxone as they provide both a control systems and a music server/multizone amp system.

The music server/multizone amp can be bought standalone or added to a whole house Loxone automated home system. It is also considerably cheaper than Control4.