Question Multiple zones in one large room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mccmjc, May 16, 2018.

1. mccmjc

mccmjc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a large (well, for the UK anyway...) open plan kitchen / diner / playroom, which I'd like to have separate audio zones in. It's about 10m by 6m but with a bit of an L shape at one end.

The main reason is so that I can listen to music in one zone whilst it is off (or at a different volume) in another.

I have this currently set up across different rooms, but am wondering if there are limitations in doing this in a single room of this size. Would it sound bad having (for example) two sets of stereo bookshelf speakers, sited at opposite ends of the room, playing at the same time?

Would I be better looking at ceiling speakers (this is a renovation job, so access to the ceiling for wiring is not a problem)?

Or is this just too small to consider multiple zones?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,958
    Hi Chris,

We often install 4-6 speakers in this size room. Usually in ceiling or in wall. Each zone can be independently controlled. With ceiling speakers you tend not to focus on a stereo presentation due to their location and dispersion. We some times set them all to mono via an audio matrix.

Best regards

[email protected]

3. mccmjc

mccmjc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Rich.

So would ceiling speakers provide a better sound than a couple of pairs of bookshelf (or floorstanding)? Could I mix and match (one end of the room will have a TV, and I'm tempted to hook this up to floorstanding speakers, but the kitchen end could be ceiling)?

Cheers,

Chris

4. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,958
    In ceiling speakers placed properly can give a more even spread of sound throughout the room. They will only play down to 40-50hz so a sub woofer should be a consideration if you want more bass. They are also aesthetically more pleasing.

You can definitely mix and match. Also consider on wall speakers for the TV. This will look again look better and frees up floor space.

Look at speakers from KEF, Dali, Origin Acoustics, MK Sound, Definitive Technology, Stealth Acoustics and Amina Invisible speakers.
    This is a kitchen that we recently installed 4 x Origin Acoustics D68 loudspeakers.
    IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

5. mccmjc

mccmjc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Rich,

Your advice is very much appreciated!

Chris

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    I would definitely 'Mix n match' as down firing ceiling speakers are not the best option for your TV viewing and personally I don't like them much for music playback either (even background music).

Joe

7. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,958
    Completely agree with you Joe re using in ceiling speakers for TV play back.