1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple users in XP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Bate, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just built a PC for the kids with a Nebual card in it so it can be used as a TV and a PC, I want to set up 2 users "Watch TV" and "Use PC" The "Use PC" user will be a Limited Access so they can just access what I put on their desktop but with the "Watch TV" user I want Nebula to fire up automatically when logged in full screen so they wont/cant see the desktop. I thought I could do this via Startup but this fires up Nebula in both user accounts, am I missing something obvious here :confused: I thought each user account could be completely independant?

Any assistance gratefully accepted!!

Steve

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into C:\Documents and settings\steve\start menu... they'll be the item in there that auto runs.. check the other user's start menu... and check the all users start menu (and for course whatever you want/don't want on yours & yours kids desktop)

oh yeah make sure you have "show hidden files" otherwise you won't be able to see the dirs.

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    D'oh!!

New it'd be something simple!! Thanks Nathan.

Steve

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good tip it to go into Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Local Users and Groups, Users.. and select each of you kids users- and highlight "password never changes"

Probably save alot of grief.

If you have ADSL and using XP, I would strongly recommend running XP Anti-Spy (it removes the user that allows MS-or any hacker- to have full access to your PC)

http://www.xp-antispy.de/

and disable services you don't need (ie Messenger, Remote Registry Service, Telnet, Telephony, Smart card, Indexing, Automatic updates etc)

Disabling Telnet & Telephony on a non internet PC will also save quite a few meg of memory anyway, so it's a worthwhile tweak.