Multiple unknown devices on BT Network

xar

Hi all,

Recently added BT whole home mesh to my super hub 2, and after some issues today I have discover 20+ unknown devices on my network, mix of Ethernet and Wi-Fi. None of them have IP addresses.

Screenshot below is from my BT monitoring app, showing a selection of them after i blocked them.

Since writing this post several more have appeared, albeit they seemed to have stopped for now.

They all appear on only one of my three BT discs, which is connected to a tp link switch that also has my PS4. ATV, and LG TV attached.

Anyone got any ideas?

19F1CA07-9CB5-42D9-B692-65CE46BE5C4B.png

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
In this case I google the mac addresses which often tell you the maker.

04:a2:22 is arcadyan who make LG stuff.
This is what I was going to suggest as it's a good start to trying to identify devices.

Maverick567

This happened to me the first time I connected a device to the Ethernet port of the disc, it momentarily created a loop. As a result of the loop everything on the network was visible, whether it was connecting to the Wi-Fi or wired.

xar

Thanks all. Not quite as sinister as I thought in that case. I will google them all this morning and see if there are any oddballs.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
The first 24 bits of a MAC address are called the OUI and more or less identify the manufacturer (there's a few reserved for special purposes such as broadcast/multicast.) There's a register somewhere that's managed to ensure the the same OUI doesn't get ascribed to multiple manufacturers to ensure that all "burned in" MAC addresses are globally unique. Once ascribed to a particular manufacturer said manufacturer manages their own processes internally to ensure all their kit has unique burned in MAC. (In some kit, your can "locally administer" the MAC address overriding the burned in one and make up your own, not that anyone bothers much.) Some processes also "spoof" MAC addresses to either hide the original, pretend to be something they are not, etc. Virtualisation hypervisors do this a lot for the guest machines. I've got a Wi-Fi repeater that spoofs MAC's for Associated clients, which really screws up the IP addresses (as it changed every time a client roams - don't buy TP-Link "RE" series repeaters, apparently they all do it.)

There's tools on the Internet to look up the OUI and resolve it to the ascribed manufacturer- though note this may be the manufacturer of the NIC, not necessarily the vendor of the equipment. Thusly if I check my Lenovo laptop, the NIC OUI resolves to Qualcomm.

It's also worth point in out that it's quite possible for a device to be participating in a LAN and not have an IP address - LAN's can convey many types of payload data and "IP" is just one of them. It's extremely rare these days as most things work using IP, but it does happen.

xar

Thanks. I have worked through each one at the are all fine. It’s literally everting in my house including TVs, printers, Roku, ATV, shield tv, Fire tv, zidoo, NAS, projector etc! I was just so surprised to see it all connected to a single mesh disc as most of that stuff isn’t. Anyways, drama over. Thanks for the help guys :smashin:

Kristian

bit of extra info... Every device connected to the network will have a MAC address and they use it as part of their network communications, it's used at a low level (where switches work) (IP addresses sit at a level above it (where routers work)), MAC != IP. Some network actions require frames to be broadcast as the destination device is unknown and therefore are seen by all devices (caveat: on a single subnet/vlan basis). These broadcasts have both source and destination MACs. The screen shot you've got shows that the device in question has seen all of theses broadcasts and therefore knows there are other devices on the network. If you are able to look at your router's ARP cache then you'll see that the router knows about all the devices on the network at the IP level and will show a match between IP and MAC addresses.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom