Multiple TV Setup help with various inputs.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by phillh79, Feb 28, 2013.

1. phillh79

phillh79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of creating a home entertainment system. I have the main hardware required but just need some help setting it up so I can get the best out of my system.

Here's a basic diagram of how I have arranged my system so far.

[​IMG]

My original set-up had my PS3 linking to my 40" TV and Sky box linking to 32" TV
    My PC has a dual graphics card configuration with HDMI out to both TV's.

Why 2 TV's is what you're probably thinking?

I'm a keen gamer as is my flatmate but it's not exactly fair taking up the main TV in the apartment for gaming stopping her watching her soaps and other cheesy TV. I could also have the PS3 or Sky on and have my PC on the other TV so I can work and game while watching TV and using both screens on the PC so can watch films and play games at the same time.

The speaker system and amplifier are a brand new purchase and now I would like to get a similar output set-up incorporating the new surround sound system and flexibility is the key!

I know the dual output won't be possible with my current set-up but I know you can get a HDMI switching matrix to help with this but not sure exactly what to do with it!

Any help would be gratefully received.

:thumbsup:

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    I've also got the Onky 515 recently, it's excellent, and it has more than enough connectivity for your system.
    It has the advantage of two HDMI outputs, which fit in with your requirements.
    Everything can go through the Onky to the TVs.
    If you want 5:1 from Sky HD you need it to Onky by optical, so it could go for video to TV by HDMI instead.

3. phillh79

phillh79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically I need audio via optical for the Sky then can run HDMI to my second TV which should give me the ability to watch TV while I game.

[​IMG]

I like diagrams. :D

One thing I have noticed is there is a crackling when viewing things on SKY, currently doing a firmware update so that might fix it but would the optical audio cure that too?

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    Yes, diagrams are fine, and all the better when the connections are included.;)
    You're showing the second Onky HDMI output but that should be of some use.
    The manual is only online and I haven't looked yet at what that can do and how it works.
    As I said, you need the Sky optical, but for video have the choice of through Onky or direct to TV.
    I don't know what a "firmware update" is but it's not likely to do anything about crackling audio!
    Some fault in the wiring or in the sockets is causing that.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,498
    If there are multiple HDMI Inputs on both TV’s and you have the Dual Output PC connected to both Displays then all I can see you requiring is a 1x2 Distribution Amp for the SKY Box – with one Output going to the AVR (feeding the 40” TV via HDMI) and the second Output of the 1x2 direct to a second HDMI Input on the 32” TV.

Media Factory - Octava HDDA12A-UK, HDMI1x2 Distribution Amp + audio converter

If you want maximum flexibility for your HDMI signals a 4x2 HDMI Matrix will do the trick – though keep in mind you will need to retain Optical or Coaxial for 5.1 direct from each Source into the AVR for your SKY box, BD, PC and PS3; assuming you want to ‘hear’ the sources through the 32” TV speakers.

Media Factory - Octava HDMX42-UK, 4x2 HDMI Matrix switch

Joe