Multiple STB's phone connection!

M

milgo

I need to connect 2 sky STB to BT phone sockets. The STB’s are situated in parts of the house that do not have phone sockets and I am very loath to run cable all over the house to create the required points.

I’m sure that I have a heard of a product that uses the house mains as a phone medium so that you can have a phone socket wherever you have a mains plug.

1. Does anyone know what I mean
2. Does anyone know what they are called
3. Does anyone know where I could buy them
4. Does anyone use one and/or know if they work

Thanks

Don't bother plugging them in - what's the worse that could happen?

Originally posted by MartinImber
Don't bother plugging them in - what's the worse that could happen?

Is this thread a teaser for a new Dr Pepper advert?

Seriously, I'd only plug it in if I wanted either the interactive services... Or if there was an on-air upgrade going on. Otherwise I'd leave them unplugged.
Just thinking... Hackers try to get into PC's through modems, because they are there, so wouldn't they try the same for STB's? Maybe they can then trace ownership details, credit card details etc. etc.

BTW I watched Swordfish last night... :smoke:

I need to connect 2 sky STB to BT phone sockets

You don't say why you need to do this. If it is because you have a mirror sub then you will be checked up on by Sky and if they are not connected you will get a very nasty letter from them, trust me I know!

Mine were connected but Sky didn't believe me, I had an engineer round and he confirmed in writing to Sky that they were connected, but they still wouldn't believe me. It took about 10 weeks to sort it out with numerous 'phone calls and letters. If you are not doing anything wrong (like lending one of the boxes to a friend!) then it's just not worth the hastle.

MartinImber I'm surprised at you:nono:

DaveP

as you presumed the 2 stb's that i need connecting are additional devices from sky that are being rented at a subsidised rate. I have already had the letter threatening to charge the full subscription for the both of them unless they are connected to a working phoneline as per contract.

Originally posted by milgo
I’m sure that I have a heard of a product that uses the house mains as a phone medium so that you can have a phone socket wherever you have a mains plug.

1. Does anyone know what I mean
2. Does anyone know what they are called
3. Does anyone know where I could buy them
4. Does anyone use one and/or know if they work

Yes, this unit made by Thomson comprises two objects that look like a 13 Amp adapter. In fact I think each one has a 13 Amp socket in the back. You plug in one part next to the equipment and connect it with the supplied modem lead. You plug the other into the nearest 13 Amp socket to your phone line jack and connect it to the jack.

I believe that satcure.com sell these, although I can't see them in the catalogue. Try emailing them. As I recall, they weren't cheap. About £60. A length of cable is much cheaper!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Who cares about silly rules which are silly:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom