• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multiple Screen HT Design/Setup

SixStringTheory

Novice Member
Hello everyone!
My wife thinks I'm insane, lets hear what the forum has to say!
I'm getting ready to finish our basement (approx 670 Sq.ft) and will be turning it in to a multi use room (I know, I know but I have kids and a wife to answer to so no dedicated theater space unfortunately). What I'm hoping to do is have two entertainment "zones" created and use a single seating area for both. I'll have one area with a 75" tv with its own sound (probably a soundbar) that will be used when the kids are playing around. I'll create a second area with either a 120-135" screen and projector (OR I may use a projector paint and paint the entire wall and just use that as it will be mainly for nighttime viewing with very little to no ambient light). I like the idea of the paint because it allows the room to remain more open and less like a theater which serves the "multipurpose" thing I'm trying to pull off. The screen/projector I would like it to have it's own dedicated sound as it will be coming from a different direction so I can't use the same sound system as the TV. The idea is to have the seating arranged so both areas are view able without rearranging furniture.
I have attached a rough floorplan (not to scale) of what I am hoping to achieve.
All work will be done by contractors and they have agreed to run all electrical, A/V cabling wherever I want prior to sheet-rocking the walls and ceilings. I have a STRONG dislike for exposed wires so I want to get this arranged in a sensible manner and hidden as best as possible.

My questions are:
  • Is this an idiotic idea to begin with
  • How can I set up multiple sound systems using a single source (Blu Ray, Apple TV etc)
  • How to I divert a single source (again Apple TV, Blu Ray etc) between the TV or projector
  • Has anyone done anything similar or have a better idea?
I welcome any and all feedback as I'm hoping to avoid any dumb/costly mistakes and have a good amount of time to plan this out

Attached is the proposed layout

Attachments

• BASEMENT.pdf
    192.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Keeping the system simple to operate will be key to enjoying the system.

The Dual screen layout idea looks fine and is readily accomplishable in a number of ways.

How many Sources 'need' to be shared between the TV and the Projector?

It may prove simpler and more cost effective to have dedicated Sources for each system!

What is going in the 'game' area?

Joe

SixStringTheory

Novice Member
Keeping the system simple to operate will be key to enjoying the system.

The Dual screen layout idea looks fine and is readily accomplishable in a number of ways.

How many Sources 'need' to be shared between the TV and the Projector?

It may prove simpler and more cost effective to have dedicated Sources for each system!

What is going in the 'game' area?

Joe
Hey Joe thanks for the reply!
There would probably be 1 streaming device (Apple TV or Firestick) and a game console (PS 4 or XBox). No cable or Blu Ray player at this time.
For audio I’m leaning towards a single 3.0 soundbar for the TV and a 5.1.2 Soundbar system with wireless sub and Dolby Atmos for the projector. Vizio has nice products that fit both of those bills and don’t break the bank.
With the budget i have ($5-6k) I’m looking to direct more money to the projector/screen than the audio right now.

The game area will be mostly board games and the like for now as the kids are young. As they get older that will be replaced with either a pool table, ping pong OR a few old school classic arcade games!!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom