Multiple Routers - One ISP Connection

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by skankingpigeon, Feb 5, 2009.

1. skankingpigeon

skankingpigeon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I have two routers:

1 connected to 2 computers downstairs (Netgear DG834G V3)
    1 connected to my xbox 360 upstairs (O2 Broadband II Router)

i have no wireless capability on either xbox or computer, and both routers are connected to phone sockets in their respective room.

The problem I have is you cannot use both at once. Any idea of how I can? I heard I might be able to make one a Network Bridge so that it can take the internet connection from the other router. I am very very new to networking so if you could, could you explain in the most lament terms?

Cheers,

Jo

2. geniusworkin

geniusworkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    it wont work, you can only ever attach 1 router to an ADSL line (telephone line)

You can Bridge the routers together, but ive always found it very complicated.

I'd suggest homeplugs, leave the router downstairs connected to the computers, take an ethernet cable from the router and plug into the homeplug. The 'transmitting' homeplug will send the network signals over your electricity circuit to the xbox upstairs (via another 'receiver' homeplug.)

So:

Router --> Transmitting Homeplug --> [Electricity Circuit] --> Receiver Homeplug --> Xbox.

gw

3. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    You need to connect both routers together either with a cat5 network cable, homeplugs (which use you electric sockets, see the faq above), or wireless if both routers have wireless access points built-in and they support bridging.

In any case, one of the routers will need to be connected to the phone line for your internet connection with DHCP turned on and the other router will not be connected to the phone line and will need DHCP turning off. You are essentially turning one of the routers into a basic switch.

Usually the better solution is with a cable but that can cause problems with running the cable around the house. Cheap though.

Next best, imho, would be home plugs. Easy to set up and use, can have problems depending on your ring main, but expensive.

Wireless needs no wires but can have limited range depending on your local environment, and your routers may not have Access Points in them anyway.

Kris.

4. skankingpigeon

skankingpigeon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great!

Thanks for your help!