1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Monitors / Multiple Signals ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by galwaybhoy, Jul 27, 2005.

1. galwaybhoy

galwaybhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone help with a problem I have. I want to send a signal from a source to multiple screens. I would like to have the screens/tv's able to show different tv channels at the same time, and also be able to show dvd's or a signal from a PC.

What cabling would be best for this setup and do you think it would best to run this via a PC with multiple tv cards in it so that I would cover all angles...the tv/dvd/pc signals?

My initial thoughts were to send a RF coaxial cable for each screen seperately, and a s-video and audio cable for each screen. However, this would leave me with alot of cabling and an ugly setup. Is there a simplier way of doing this while still giving each screen and individual signal, so that not all the screens have to show the same image?

I know this is a bit of a toughie but any help would be greatly apprciated.

Cheers!!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    galwaybhoy

What your after is a Matrix Switcher - these have multiple Inputs and multiple Independent outputs.

A Matrix switcher can deal with one signal type only or multiple signal types.

A multiple signal type Matrix switcher may have Composite, S-Video, YUV, RGB etc Inputs and Outputs; though keep in mind if you Input say YUV it only appears on the YUV Outputs.

If you want to run a single cable to each Display and have the ability to view multiple sources at each Display you need to convert your disparate signal types to one 'common' signal type.

Signal Types, Cable Lengths, Display types, Control and Budget will all be factors in your system plan.

See http://www.autopatch.com for some ideas on what is typically used in high quality AV, HT and Broadcast installations.

Best regards

Joe