Multiple LNB's on Sky Dish?

pixlrik

Is it possible to mount an additional LNB on a Sky dish so I can have 19.2E and 28.2E on the same dish? Currently it has an LNB for Sky Q (the dish was only installed around 18 months ago) so I know I will have to change that over, but I hope it will be suitable enough for 2 satellites without the need to change to a bigger dish. The dish is currently in a nice space that keeps it relatively disguised against the house so would prefer to keep it in the same location. Moving it or having to put a bigger dish are things I'd like to not have to do if I can get away with that. I would just need whatever adapter is required for the LNB arm, two new LNB's and new cabling and a DiSEqC switch. Are there such adapters for the Sky branded mini dishes, and if so, can someone point me in the right direction for one? I've Googled but its brining up adapters for non-Sky dishes. Thanks.

logiciel

I doubt it.

winston2010

People do it though I don't know what the results are like. The LNBs would be virtually touching so you may get away just taping the LNBs to one another.

John

Pretty sure I have seen multi lnb sky dish set ups here in the past
Have no idea what they were focused on though

SaajanB

I use a mini dish for both astra 28.2 and 19.2. Both LNBs are sky mini dish types, which are suited to the elliptical shape of the dish versus a normal LNB which is suited to a circular dish.
The 19.2 LNB is zip tied on to the 28.2 lnb, using some plastic packers as shims to get the optimum signal level. You definitely need a good digital satellite meter that tunes into the transponders so you can fine tune it.
The performance for 19.2E is adequate, my Enigma sat receiver reports a 53% SNR, and on 28.2e it is around 89% which is obviously good.

It holds up in rain, but on some transponders I do get break up in very heavy rain. If you wanted better performance whilst keeping the discreet appearance of a mini dish, you could get a zone 2 dish which is slightly larger (43 vs 60cm)

I've also got a separate mini dish focused on 13.0E Hotbird but the performance is poor on many transponders since the dish is too small.

I'm now going to bite the bullet and switch out this setup for an 80cm dish focused on 19.2, with LNBs either side on 28.2 and 13.0E which should give good performance fingers crossed.

pixlrik

The house has a Zone 2 dish on it already and I'd like to use it if at all possible. I have an old white 80cm dish with 28.2E and 19.2E LNBs on a bracket in storage, but I don't think it would fit where the Sky dish is and being bright white it would stand out a lot more seeing as it is on the front of the house so would rather keep the more discreet and disguised Sky dish. I'm not good with ladders so I'm wondering if a local installer would even do a bodge LNB cable tied on to the Sky LNB if I asked them, I'd probably get laughed at!

SaajanB

In that case you should be good to go with a zone 2 dish. When I told my local installer about my setup he laughed, he was surprised I picked 19.2 at all! Might be worth ringing round till you find someone who's willing to do this bodge. I'd wait a few weeks though, since storm Derek and Eunice they're all stacked with work.
Perhaps you could get a friend to go up on the ladder if you're not comfortable.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom