Multiple Input Switching to Single HDMI Output

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by da simster, May 30, 2008.

1. da simster

da simster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im new to this home cinema stuff. I'm interested in a Pioneer VSX-1017AV-K AV Receiver but im unsure from reading the spec whether it will switch multiple inputs (e.g. component, composite etc.) to a single HDMI output which will go to the projector.

Pioneer VSX-1017AV-K

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    I seem to recall the 1017 only switches HDMI sources so no it doesn't do upconversion. Top tip - the US sites are usually better for specs. Try there and also do a search on "1017 upconversion" or "VSX-1017 upconversion" or similar.

3. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know what your budget is (and I haven't checked the price of that Pioneer receiver) but I can tell you the Denon 3808 receiver has four HDMI inputs (and several other analogue inputs of all types) and one HDMI output, and it will do both upconverting and upscaling of incoming video signals. So it can upconvert analogue video signals (composite, S-video or component) either to "better" analogue (S-video or component) or to HDMI, and it can upscale incoming analogue or HDMI video signals to 1080p to output over HDMI (or incoming analogue video signals to 1080i to output over analogue outputs).

I think the price is currently around £1,200, although you might be able to find it cheaper. You probably wouldn't be able to buy it online though, as Denon have restrictive rules about their more expensive equipment being sold in online stores.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    As the VSX1017 is going for less than £300, I would imagine the 3808 is slightly over budget here!!

5. da simster

da simster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply bruce but as Davepuma rightly says its way over my budget. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier but my budget is around £500 for an AV Receiver. Therefore, i believe the Onkyo 606 and the Sony 920 are good recomendations from Davepuma (on another thread). Im leaning towards the Sony 920 at the moment purely because of its looks. However, I can't seem to find the Sony 920 in the UK at the moment, anybody know when it will be released?

Can anybody provide any other reason (pros/cons) for why i should go for Onkyo 606 over the Sony 920 or any other reciever for that matter?

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    The Onkyo 606 (and older 605) are the cheapest AVRs with HD audio decoding on board. The new Yamaha 763 is a full £100 dearer (RRP but you may find it cheaper) and the new Pioneer 1018 is rumoured to be not as cheap as people had hoped. There's no firm details on the release dates or prices for the Sony, Pioneer or Denon 2008 lineup so maybe hang fire for a bit longer but I wouldn't hold your breath for Denon or Pioneer. I believe the last Sonys came out in June so hopefully this years models will follow suit.