Multiple HDMI sources

drdavewatford

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm delighted with the performance of my DVD player through an HDMI connection to my Pioneer plasma.

As a gaming fan, I'll certainly get the XBOX 360 later this year and the PS3 next year, both of which output high def via HDMI.

Problem is, the Pioneer only has 1 HDMI socket, and I don't want to be unplugging and plugging leads the whole time.

Does anyone know of a way of getting multiple HMDI sources into one socket without discernible degradation of the signal ?

Thanks,

Dr. D.

New AV amps will have HDMI switching. All your HDMI devices go into the amp and one cable goes to your TV.

Great suggestion, but unfortunately won't work for me - my Denon 2805 AV receiver (pretty new, so I won't be replacing it in the foreseeable future) doesn't have HDMI inputs (or an output) to my knowledge.

I suspect I might need some kind of powered multi-input HDMI switching box, but am concerned that the signal degradation will be such that I lose the picture quality. This has certainly been the case with some boxes I've tried which allow me to run 2 or 3 computers off the same monitor.

Dr. D.

Many thanks. Seriously expensive, though. Anyone have any experience of this particular brand ? I've seen too many claims of "great picture quality" and "no interference or loss of signal" with PC monitor switching boxes over the years to take the manufacturers word for this....

Ta,

Dr. D.

Cheers - I'll eventually need 4-into-1 when Xbox 360, PS3 & HD SKY are available (!), but this will do me in November when the Xbox 360 arrives anyway !

Dr. D.

there is no hdmi socket on the launch xboxes ... I guess they'll have the circuitry on the microsoft propritory connector that will split out into hdmi with a new lead sometime next year ... they have said in interviews that "as hi-def is not a gaming issue" it is not a priority though ...

Jon

When are these new amps with HDMI switching availible. At the moment I have my pc connected via DVI, but what with HD SKY and XBOX360 out very soon I will need to replace my amp asap. :rolleyes:

There are some out there at the moment but only top end models from Denon, etc ... Arcam have their new AV processor with 3xhdmi ...

with no hdmi for launch xbox 360's and launch skyHD boxes with component outputs you can afford to wait a while and see what pans out ...

Jon

I thought one of the launch features of the 360 was hi-def!?!?!?!? Everygame that is being writtend for it is hi-def so they must be offering connectivity!?!?!?!

baldrick said:
I thought one of the launch features of the 360 was hi-def!?!?!?!? Everygame that is being writtend for it is hi-def so they must be offering connectivity!?!?!?!

Games will be in High Def which can easily be carried on component.
The use of HDMI is to gain access to it's content protection facilities provided by HDCP and it's the movie studios who want that to protect their HD movies.
The Xbox360 can not play HD movies on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray so doesn't need anything but component, at least not the initial hardware spec.

Component's all they've talked about (and VGA), which is why all the speculation about Xbox 360 including a HD-DVD drive for launch seemed pointless to me, as the only way they'd be able to include it, is if they included HDMI and HDCP as well, which wasn't in the specification, and would probably have to be included at a hardware level to satisfy the HD-DVD people.

Not to say they couldn't add it in the future though.

James.

Does anyone know if you can get a component doubler/splitter?

e.g to connect dvd and xbox360 to component?

Slightly OT, but could I connect the 360 to my DVI port using an adaptor, assuming the port is DVI-I? Would there be any advantage to using the VGA support over the Component?

Component switchers are available - 2,3,4:1 versions. Alternatively, good AV Amp with component inputs. Will switch the audio to correspond to image being viewed.

Don't believe that's the case, since (I believe) the DVI is D and not I, therefore it's a digital signal with HDCP.
Don't also believe the VGA is going to give you anything extra that the component cables and connection does.
I'm sure quality will vary from brand to brand on that one, and there'll be an element of "suck it and see".

Hello all

drdavewatford - lots of options for switching and distributing Multiple Digital AV sources. Zektor provide DVI (with HDCP) + Digital/Analogue Audio products.

See http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.html

Gefen provide DVI and HDMI Video along with HDMI with Digital and or Analogue Audio products. You can have 2:1, 4:1, 2:2, 4:2, 6:2 and even 8:2 Switching+ Distribution solutions.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/hometheater.jsp

Video quality through these products is very good - though HDCP and signal management can be fun at times depending on the generation of Digital transmitters/receivers used in your source and Display devices.

Always ensure you can send the kit back before you plump for any solution - HDMI and DVI is definitely NOT Plug & Play :)

kingsize - if all you require is a 2:1 YUV Switcher then a JS Technology 'Master Component Controller' will do the trick for around £50.00 - if you need something more sophisticated then a Zektor HDS4 or HDS4.2 will switch up to four YUV with IR or RS232 control

See http://www.zektor.com/hds42/index.html

Shakey_Jake33 - I think I'd stick with a 'proper' analogue input for YUV or RGB as the type of cable you can get into a DVI-I socket is pretty skinny or you have to revert to lots of adapters.

Best regards

Joe

I almost started a new thread called 'HDMI vs DVI' but thought better of it.

Anyway, all this HDMI / DVI business is fairly complicated - and difficult partly because it is new and only theoretical to those of us who haven't taken 'the plunge' yet.

So, at the risk of making this are even more difficult to understand can I ask what the 'pros' and 'cons' are for buying a TV with just a HDMI input vs one with just a DVI input (both HDCP of course)?

Previously I've discounted those LCD TVs with just the DVI thinking that HDMI is inherently better but now I'm not so sure.

TIA. :thumbsup:

GalileoFigaro said:
Previously I've discounted those LCD TVs with just the DVI thinking that HDMI is inherently better but now I'm not so sure.

TIA. :thumbsup:

If you follow the strict specs. HDMI has more video possibilities than DVI - as HDMI also supports YCrCb 4:2:2 at more than 8 bits, and 4:4:4 YCrCb at 8 bits.

DVI is, I think, RGB 4:4:4 8bit only - following the standard - though there is a possibility that some DVI implementations also include modes that are extra...

GalileoFigaro

I'm afraid to say it gets even more complicated than you would wish for :)

HDMI will become the standard Digital Home Theatre interconnect for the next couple of generations of Consumer kit; though there are other options on the horizon!!!

HDMI (V1.1) has the ability to carry Digital Video + Stereo or Multi-channel audio; though note there is a sub set of the HDMI spec called V1.0 that doesn't offer the Multi-channel audio. A lot of the first generation HDMI Displays are HDMI V1.0.

DVI is a Video Only connection - originating in the PC market its not designed for long cable runs.

Now the really tricky bit - HDMI adds HDCP encryption to the Digital Video and Audio feed and if you have an HDMI equipped source and a DVI equipped Display you require the Display to be HDCP enabled.

Now it gets really tricky - some manufacturers have stared to produce kit with DVI sockets on that use HDMI Receiver/transmitter technology behind the DVI socket; which means you can get unexpected results when connecting various combination of kit together.

My advice with all of this is don't buy anything site unseen unless you have the option to return it and/or you supplier can assure you they have had whatever combination of kit you want working.

As you are in the UK I'd also suggest at this time that any Display device you purchase should carry the 'HD Ready' logo to ensure you are compatible with current and planned SD and HD signals for the next few years at least.

Having the 'HD Ready' logo ensures the Digital video inputs on a Display are HDCP enabled by default.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom