1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple HDMI inputs on LCD TV's....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by crazyswede, Jun 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want an LCD TV with an HDMI input just like everyone else... and like a lot of people, I cannot make my mind up....

To go with my future LCD I want to get a Samsung 950 HDMI dvd player (which will be replaced by a Blue-ray or HD DVD)...

then...

I will want either a XBOX2 or PS3 which both have HDMI outputs....

then...

Of course later on I will probably get SKY HD which uses HDMI...

That would mean that my LCD TV would need 3 HDMI inputs or will the SKY or PS3 have HDMI input connections? (like Scart inputs that DVD players and sky boxes have now)

All TVs now only have one HDMI input if you are lucky…

Does this worry other people? :hiya:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Not really. 4 input-1 output switchers are available now (admittedly at around £300) but I'm sure cheaper models will become available in the future.

Steve

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Is there any reason that they can't add more right now? It's just so they can sell us a better TV with more dedicated inputs later, right?

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Might be barking up the wrong tree here but didn't I hear that there is a cost/tax issue with additional inputs???

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Call me cynical but it makes sense for manufacturers to sell products with single HDMI/DVI inputs now and then release new models in a year or so with multiple inputs thus increasing sales. Typical marketing trick and it's always the early adopter that loses out.

6. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also somewhat worried about this issue for my new Sharp 45". No HDMI, only 1 DVI and only 1 component. I'm more concerned for the moment about 1 component input. Luckily my Amp switched 2 into 1.

As for HDMI/DVI, I've allowed for a 4 to 1 switch in the future when I too will hook up PS3, PC, etc.... Just delay buying a switch until you absolutely need it. They're only going to get cheaper. And make sure you get one with remote!

7. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i have a great solution, which is to invest in a high quality home cinema reciever.
    The latest models from denon for example have crazy inputs and outputs.
    you can hook up 3 HDMI, 2 DVI, 5-6 component as well as somthing like 8 SVHS.
    And ive seen outputs on these types of systems that allows HDMI or DVI.

So effectively its one great big adapter for all your needs, and as a bonus it will sync all your audio with your picture, which is a nightmare for people who feed their optical 5.1 signal into an amp, and have the component/RGB direct to their TV.
    My movies are rarely synced, and it drives you mad watching lips flap to words youve heard almost a second ago.

At the moment such amps will cost £2500 but prices will come down, and when HDMI kicks off, more manufacturers will fit them as standard, so expect a decent range in early 06 that costs in the region of £1000-1500.

Im an optimist though lol.

btw

xbox 360 (also known as xbox 1.5 lol) will not be digital, shockingly its only supporting- composite, svideo, RGB and .... component!?

So expect uproar and jokes about this lack of true HD.
    PS3 can use 2 HDMI if you choose to run dual displays, but its unlikely you will need them since i dont see many games would ever need 2 screens.

HD DVD players will need 1 HDMI, and so will Sky/cable HD services.

So really you need about 3 HDMI and 1 or 2 component inputs.

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that when you want a high-end system it is better to have a display that is as plain as possible and an external receiver that does all the receiving, switching, sound amplification etc.

Unfortunately most (if not all) receivers do not perform any video conversion. They have many types of input and many types of output, but what comes out is always the same as what goes in.
    That is often inconvenient, because you have to connect your display with component AND s-video AND hdmi, and when you switch input on the receiver you have to simultaneously switch source on the display.
    Furthermore, an AV receiver normally does not include a TV tuner.

An ideal solution would have only one connection between receiver and display, and you would have only one unit to control. This is usually what you get when you buy a TV with external tuner, but then you normally get too limited capabilities on the external tuner box.

What should happen:

- receiver manufacturers should incorporate conversion into their design, and convert all incoming signals to a common output (e.g. HDMI or optionally component)

- receivers should include a tuner for the local markets (analog, dvb) or there should be matching external tuners available that are easily controlled via the same remote.

- TV manufacturers should offer high-end models that come with only high-spec inputs like HDMI, DVI, component and do not include a tuner.

Such components could be used to make a much easier to use TV system, where each manufacturer can focus on what it is good at. For example, a good display can be bought from Philips, but for a good AV receiver you would probably prefer one of the Japanese brands.

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    One of these days I'll get me a nice external video processor of some sort, which could possibly ease this issue a bit. Have to let the bank bank balance recover first...

10. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Im already set, got a component switcher and a Samsung HD745, PS2 and Xbox connected via it into my Sharp GA3E.

Couldnt give too hoots about it not supposidly being "true" HD, as long as it allows me to use 720p/1080i which it does. Such discussions are for the fanboy realm.

SkyHD is a strange cookie. Sky have said that the first generation of HD boxes WILL allow component, with the only a few channels containing HDCP (and thus therefore requiring connectivity with DVI/HDMI). Sky have said so far that none of their channels will be HDCP enabled when launched on the Hi Def platform.