1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple HDMI connections?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by garrad, Jan 10, 2005.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so in the next few months I'm going to pick up myself an LCD projector with a HDMI input and also a new DVD player with a HDMI output also. I am wondering though when Sky release their HDTV box how can you connect two HDMI inputs to a single connection?

2. Snoopstah

Snoopstah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Something like this would work...

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that's expensive for something so simple.

What about having two outputs also? Say I have a HD Plasma Screen with a HDMI input and a Projector also with an HDMI input, how can I source which can be used?

4. Snoopstah

Snoopstah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup, but equally, one of the forum sponsors is selling a 5m DVI->HDMI cable for £75, which is obscene for what it is. Trouble is, there's currently so little demand for this stuff that prices are still very high.

Hopefully, now more displays are coming with HDMI inputs, when Sky bring out their HDTV system and more people start to want to use the HDMI stuff, switches and cables will come down in price significantly. I can still remember buying my first 2m DVI cable for 40 quid, whereas now you can get them for closer to £4.

The same switch *should* do for the other purpose too (one input into two outputs) - after all, all it does is connect one connector to another, it doesn't care which way the electrons go :)

You may be able to get away with a simple splitter, but I wouldn't like to guarantee it - there might be termination issues.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IIRC they have to pay $15000 a year to license HDCP and another $5000 for an HDMI license, plus a percentage in royalties per unit, so that's a pretty big overhead to begin with.

6. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's nuts. I see denon's top end £4000 amp has 3 in and one out. It would be nice to see the 3806 having the same... just 12 months to go... such a long wait.

7. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that includes the physical specs for cables and mechanical switchboxes (which can be easily and legally reverse-engineered)? It seems like the licensing would only apply to terminal equipment (equipment that outputs an HDMI signal or takes HDMI input signal) where they need a lot of info on protocols and such... Think of China where they will make some cheap cable with counterfeit/reverse-engineered connectors and tell the standards orgs and WTO to :censored: because Wal-mart refuses to pay more than X for their product.

Of course the current cable makers might just be playing nice with the standards org, hence the high prices. I think also that long cables (more than 2 meters) are a low-volume market so they can rip people off and they will still pay (just look at the high price of 6 meter+ component cables).

8. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is really stupid how none of this is really thought out properly. I mean when Sky get's their HDTV sorted out most people here with a HD Projector will probably have a HDTV of some sort and possibly an HDDVD player also. Maybe even two as one for HD DVD and one for BluRay. So right now we have Sky and two DVD players. So that's three inputs and with two displays... this is now just stupid. How are you supposed to hook it all up together?

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well I am assuming that they're using HDMI transmitters and receivers rather than relatively simple digital switching .. AIUI the license would be needed for these chips, but that's an assumption.

10. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it's just a waiting game now.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Pay Denon 4 grand for a 59XX or whatever it is that has 3 HDMI inputs? :laugh:

12. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mind you their top end amp is pretty sweet. Just £4000.... Way too much for me.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Marantz SR8500 has 2 DVI in and 1 out (which with the right cables will switch a couple of HDMI sources). £1000 all in. Think we installed one last week. I reckon other manufacturers won't be too far behind, pretty far but not too far. After all Denon and Marantz are sleeping in the same bed so one would hope the next gen or gen after will have DVI switching

14. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is though that Sky will be HDMI only so not even HDMI to DVI will work

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why won't HDMI->DVI work, unless audio is the problem?

16. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You obviously haven't gone to http://www.homecinemachoice.com and looked at the news :)

17. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    HDMI to DVI will work but you will need to run a separate audio connection. Then on the output side you run a DVI back to HDMI lead.

18. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because HDMI can encode the signal so only the TV will output it. The option is there but not used currently and when Sky introduce HDTV they will have an encrypted HDMI signal so you can view but not record the signal. Just a new copy protection method.

19. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HDMI implements HDCP, thus you can connect the HDMI output of the STB to a DVI input on a display or projector .. which is what has been done for some time now with devices like the Pioneer 868 into DVI-equipped projectors .. so long as the receiving device implements HDCP on the DVI connector. Most equipment over the last year or more using DVI has included this AFAIK, though granted older equipment such as the Panny AE300 projector and plasmas from last year often were vanilla DVI only.

20. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But though you can connect the new Sky HD up using other methods only the HD picture will be displayed when using the HDMI cable

21. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Unless Sky are doing something completely proprietary (which nothing I've read indicates that's what they're planning) their HDMI will work (for video, not audio) and deliver HD resolutions when connected to a DVI display that implements HDCP ... and HDCP is the same between an HDMI connector and a DVI connector, AFAIK they use the same chips to handle the HDCP protocol handshaking and encryption/decryption.

If you don't believe me, believe Liam, he sells this stuff so I assume is pretty well up on what's coming. :)

22. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0