Multiple HDMI cables for hubs, devices best way to run to another room for AV receiver for home cinema

ellchester

I’m looking at the best way to run hdmi cables to a cabinet in the room next door to where my TV is which will be wall mounted. The walls are thick being an older cottage but in the living room I have the 65” Samsung which will wall mounted. I was going to keep the Yamaha 2060 AV receiver in the living room in a cabinet so the centre, middle, rear and Atmos speakers can feed straight into that with - still trying to be as minimalistic as possible in the main living room. Even using a Harmony Remote every so often the AV receiver doesn’t turn to the right input for routines such as “Watch TV” or “Play xbox etc” and to have to keep getting up and going next door to check the AV receiver to see what input it‘s on will be a pain I thought - hence keeping it in the same room. I thought of having everything else such as Xbox, Apple TV 4K, UHD DVD player etc etc in the next room in a.cabinet and running the hdmi cables through the wall from the AV cabinet room to the AV receiver in the living room. Having the AV receiver next door aswell would probably make more sense but would still need speaker wire running from each speaker and then through the walls from the living room. I was wondering if there is a way of reducing the number of HDMI cables that have to run through the wall - whether there is a good quality splitter/switcher that I could have in the cabinet, the hdmis from the hubs, Apple tv etc, feed into that and then minimise the cables coming back into the living room from the cabinet to the av receiver.

I hope that makes sense - if anyone has any suggestions or alternatives I’d really appreciated hearing them.

Thanks

Rob

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Cable runs - how long is the ‘long run’?

Conduit - ideally you run a large conduit between the two zones to allow future cable changes.

Control - have you confirmed everything works as required between the two rooms.

Harmony - worth confirming CEC is disabled on all devices as that cab cause a clash with IR commends.

Joe

ellchester

Cable runs - how long is the ‘long run’?

Conduit - ideally you run a large conduit between the two zones to allow future cable changes.

Control - have you confirmed everything works as required between the two rooms.

Harmony - worth confirming CEC is disabled on all devices as that cab cause a clash with IR commends.

Joe
Hi Joe, The run is only about 4 to 6 feet at the most as the room with the AV cabinet is straight behind the living room. Not sure about CEC that‘s a new one on me so will look it up.

Thanks

Rob

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
CEC - is rebranded by most of the electronics manufacturers, Samsung call it Anynet or Anynet+, look for HDMI Control on all connected devices and try disabling it.

HDMI cables - at 2m (6') any Premium High Speed or Ultra High Speed certified cable will do the trick.

Control - confirm Bluetooth devices, such as ATV 4K, work 'room to room'.

Joe

ellchester

Thanks - that’s really helpful. I can’t even get the Apple TV 4K to work with the Yamaha 2060 at the moment even in this room as won’t go into HDR mode!!! Pulling my hair out but will check other things. Thanks]

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
AVR - ensure you have the latest Firmware installed and see Pg 155 of the RX-A2060 User Manual re enabling advanced video modes, that should help you get HDR to pass from the ATV 4K.

Joe

ellchester

AVR - ensure you have the latest Firmware installed and see Pg 155 of the RX-A2060 User Manual re enabling advanced video modes, that should help you get HDR to pass from the ATV 4K.

Joe
Thanks, just got it - it was in the wrong Mode - should have been in Mode 1. Interestingly when I disabled Anytime for the CEC on my Samsung Q80 it stopped sound playing through the av receiver and only shows TV speakers as an option for sound. When I turned it back on the option came back and sound was again output from the av receiver/surround speakers not the TV speakers anymore!!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
AVR Mode - good you got it sorted.

CEC - is usually required to be enabled if you are using ARC, where CEC is causing a hassle with your control ‘system’ your best option is add an Optical Digital Audio cable from the TV to the AVR and use that instead of ARC.

Joe

ellchester

Thanks, Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom