Multiple Hard Drive failure - close call

Greggles

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Approximately 3 weeks ago, the hard failed on my 4 year old Mackbook. Luckily I live across the road from Scrumpy Macs of Ipswich and so took the opportunity to replace the existing 80GB drive with a 320GB one.

No problem with lost data as I automatically backup onto my Time Capsule using Time Machine. As soon as I got the MacBook back, I did a full restore from the TC (not a quick process). Two days later the TC itself failed after just over two years of use - presumably as a result of the much publicized overheating power supply issue. see Register here | Time Capsule Memorial Register

I telephoned Apple support who said that I would be able to exchange it under their Warranty Extension Program (the closest the come to admitting there was a design fault with the unit). I asked whether I could remove the hard drive as it contained highly confidential information, which they refused as "I would damage the unit making it impossible to assess the cause of the failure". They did assure me that the drive would be securely erased :rolleyes: I suppose I should be grateful that I restored the data before the TC failed. If not I'd have been forced to choose between extracting the drive and scrapping the TC OR Loosing the data and getting a new TC.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I notice that there are quite a few "warranty replacement" units for sale on eBay!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom