Multiple DVD Changers (Sony 200-300+)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by reggs, Feb 11, 2003.

1. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone out there have any experience of Sony DVD changers?
    I have a Pioneer 747 but also wanted one of the 201+ disk changers as so much of my DVD collection just sit on the shelf and it means that I only end up watching the latest movies in my collection.
    They also take up too much shelf space.
    Problem is that they're rather pricey and always get snapped up on Ebay for near the purchase price!

Anyone care to share their experiences?

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,708
    I seem to recall reading a review of the first one that hit the market, a sony, and it got quite a good review. Think I'll follow this thread with interest....

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a 201 Sony autochanger and I like it.

well I did. I've now got 350 discs so I have to swap em out any way so I've "upgraded" to a single disc player albeit progressive pal.

I used it in conjunction with a pronto with a list of all my films on. just selected the film from the pronto and it dialled the correct slot and off we went.

easy as pie

About to get rid of it.

This as the cx850. There is a cx860 which is 301 discs and comes with component out although its not progressive.

The menu is a bit naff and slow hence why I used my pronto othere than no other probs

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,708
    Hmmm, I know I can't afford your one you have about to go, and I know you aren't going to advertise it in this thread... But if you were, how much would it be for??? :blush:

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a quick search on ebay on Friday and one went for £300 a couple of days before

I thought that was a tad expensive, althought I was one of the first mugs in the country to buy one and got slapped for 500 notes:eek:

6. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought a sony CX850D 201 disc changer from someone on this forum about 4 months ago for £175.

It is great! It was originally purchased from Richer Sounds as a completely region free + macrovision free player and it will play any disc you can find to put in it. One of the best compatibility features for me is the fact that it will play DVD-R discs so it is a great companion for my newly purchased Panasonic DMR-E-30 :D

As it has ben mentioned, the disc navigation menus are slow and cumbersome but are actually quite flexible in terms of organising your discs the way you want. A Pronto remote would be great to have for maximum ease of use, but I personally plug a keyboard into the front of the machine for entering titles and keep a printed list of which disc is in which slot handy.

I love this machine and would urge you to keep looking for one or, even better, a CX860.

One warning - the CX850 is HUGE. Funnily, the CX860 is a good deal smaller even though it can hold 100 more discs!

Cheers,

Dave

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not trying to justify more for my player but I think you got a bargain at £175 - well done!

Like I said I thought £300 was a bit expensive as it didn't include shipping. But £175 is... well...

I dont want to quote an actual price in this thread for mine as I have a potential buyer from another thread and he obviously has first dibs. I was going to my brothers tonight to borrow a DVD-R but if you say it plays 'em that saves me a job - just have to weigh the beast now! Hopefully its less than 25kg with packaging

8. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've done a bit of research and followed these on Ebay over the past few weeks.
    Two 850's have gone at £310 and £360, and an 860 went at £430 on Friday!
    Sony have a new model out in the US at $434 the 875!! with improved menus, component out and progressive scan.
    You see the dilemma!
    My brother has had a Sony 200 disc CD changer for many a long year so imagine the 860 must have a very similar chassis.
    He would never change his CD player, even though he knows he can get better sound from a single unit purely because
    of the convenience.
    Having 301 DVD's in one player is extremely attractive you have to admit.