1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple digital connection query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dave richardson, Mar 27, 2003.

1. dave richardson

dave richardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

This is my first post here, and I'm not quite as well versed in home cinema as most of you appear to be, so please excuse any misuse of terms.

I have recently purchased the set-up suggested as a budget system in What Hi-Fi (JVC AV-28T55, Toshiba SD-220E, Acoustic Energy Aego P5) and need some help with the audio side of things. The TV only has a single RGB scart, so I have had to connect the DVD player through my Sky+ box. My question is, do I need separate digital connections from the Sky box and the DVD player (one of each type) to my decoder/amp, or do I just need to connect the Sky box and let the DVD sound channel through it? Also, will there be any loss of quality if the second method is a possibility?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, but I think I explained it well enough.

A few of other things:

1. Am I better buying a quality scart switcher rather than linking boxes?
    2. At which height should I really set the speakers, the manual doesn't really say?
    3. Are the included speaker cables OK, or should I invest in better?
    4. The missus is screwing that the satellite speakers needed to go on the wall - stands are in order. Should I go for the Acoustic Energy ones, or are other (and perhaps cheaper) ones just as good?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

2. dave richardson

dave richardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh, and also, can anybody recommend a good solid coaxial lead? I was looking at the £20 Cambridge Audio in Richer Sounds - is that sufficient?

Thanks.

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Welcome to the forum.

First off you'll need a separate digital CoAx from each of the Sky and DVD player (I assume you have Sky plus ?) to connect to the amp.

1 - Compare scart passed through and scart direct, if you notice any difference you may be better off with a scart switcher, but I think most people daisy chain all the components without too much problem.

2 - Front speakers should be with the tweeter at ear height.
    Rears depend on who you believe try www.dolby.com for some suggestions, I think a lot of people recommend slightly behind and approx 3 feet above your head in the normal listening position (so that would be tall speaker stands).

3 - People all have different views on cables, not sure what was supplied, but you may be better off spending some money on at least the fronts, again you'll get loads of advice on this, personally I wouldn't spend any more than 5 quid a meter.

4 - For speaker stands try looking at something like atacama (the nexus range seem reasonable).

Hope thats been of some help.

Cheers

Slingshot

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just make sure it's a digital coax and not just an audio interconnect and it should be fine.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Infact with a Aero P5 you won't notice the difference between a 75ohm Digital Coax and a normal audio interconnect ...

But yes the Cambridge Audio would be about the most that you would want to spend for the Aego ... half of a £10 Cambridge Audio Atlantic (think thats the right name - the cheep red one) would do just as well ... or use one of the cheep interconnects that came with your DVD player - that wont cost you anything at all - buy yourself a DVD or two with what you save. Richer Sounds will let you take stuff back in 14 days if you want to buy one and see if you notice any difference - I think they even still do a "cable loan kit" with various types of speaker and interconnects for you to try out - give your local store a bell and see.

For speaker stands not sure if the Attacama Nexus would suit as they tend to have a large top platform that wouldn't really suit the style of the small speakers with the P5 kit.

To answer one of your other questions - Yes you need separate digital connections from your Sky + box and your DVD player.

Another thought on your SCART connection problems ... I think the Sky+ box is S-Video compatible so you could try connecting via SCART or S-Video to another of your TVs SCARTs and set the Sky+ box to output S-Video rather than RGB.

Vikki

6. dave richardson

dave richardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent peeps, thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

7. dave richardson

dave richardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, so I've connected my Sky box up with an optical lead and my DVD player with an electrical lead, but now I'm having different problems.

Whenever I change channels on Sky or chapters on DVD, all the speakers make a single, dull thudding sound before the normal sound begins - is this normal?

And when there is no sound coming from the speakers are they supposed to hiss? This happens particularly if I turn the volume level of my sub down (when it turns into more of a clicking).

Thanks again for any suggestions.

8. steveford77

steveford77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this exact same problem with thudding noise on sky channel change. AE blame it on the sky box but say they are working on a fix. Its been some time though.

Can I uggest that you email Pat Clarke at pclarke@acoustic-energy.co.uk to see how they are getting on.

Only thing that spoils a great system.

Steve

9. dave richardson

dave richardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I gave them a call instead Steve, and I must say it was great to speak to somebody who actually knew what they are talking about for a change.

I got the same answer as you - Sky boxes and Tosh DVD players both cause the noise due to their architecture, but AE are working on a fix. I was also told to move my sub to stop the buzzing.

:smashin: