• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Multiple devices with 4K TV and soundbar

DameC

Novice Member
Have a Sony 4k TV and also a Samsung HW-J550 Soundbar and several devices to use with the two. I have a PS3, PS4, Media MKV player and a chromecast to connect. What is the best way to achieve this. Do I connect all to the TV using HDMI cables and an HDMI splitter and then a HDMI cable from TV ARC HDMI port to Soundbar?

Frekz

Standard Member
It depends, is your soundbar capable of 4k/HDR passthrough? If it isn't, you need to connect directly to the TV, and pass pass audio with HDMI/ARC to obtian 4k/HDR material on your TV. The thing is that ARC is limited to DD/DTS 5.1, so if the soundbar us capable of HD audio (DTS-HD/Dolby True HD) you will miss out on these. The last one here goes for me, i put audio out with ARC from the TV to soundbar, and connect my devices directly to the TV to obtain 4k/HDR/DolbyVision.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom