1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple connections to DIGI box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by marcatkins, May 23, 2002.

1. marcatkins

marcatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just a quickie to ask how (if poss) I go about splitting the output from my SKY Digibox to another 2 TV's.

Before the probs we had ITV Digi and I managed to split the output from the box to a set in the kitchen and also one in the bedroom.....how do I do it with Sky ? Same method ?

Don't get me wrong here I know we can only view one channel off the Digibox.....I need to do this as more often than not I'm banished to another room to watch the footy on Sky while the other 1/2 watches soaps on the terrestrial.

cheers

marc

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You can connect RF1 to a TV in another room, you should be viewing SKY via the scart on your main telly.
    Or use the RF2 output to connect a second telly, this also allows you to connect a TVlink system that will carry remote control signals back to the digibox over a single cable.
    Another device for sending the digibox output is a wireless digisender device.

Some examples here........

Satcure

3. marcatkins

marcatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Or use the RF2 output to connect a second telly"

Do you need some sort of special cable for this purpose ?
    I've been playing about and can't get it to work........I'm assuming you run an ariel lead from the TV (upstairs in my case) to the RF2 output on the box ?

cheers
    marc

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    To send remote control signals back to the digibox you will need the TVlink style of hardware, this only works on RF2 as that can be supplied with a power source that the TVlink will use.

If all you want is to send the digibox output into another room then just plug in normal aerial/coaxial cable into RF1 and run it to the second telly. Plus that end into the telly and tune it into the digibox RF frequency (68/69), it may be that it's too close to the normal frequencies that are used in your locale so it will need to be altered.

On the SKY remote......
    Services
    Select

Then alter the RF frequency output, save the figure and then tune the second telly into the same frequecy.

5. marcatkins

marcatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starburst,

OK so I did exactly as you suggested and did actually find the channel upstairs. Prob is the pic is really poor, initially I thought it may be down to the length of cable used or maybe even the quality (its cheapo stuff IIRC). To get some idea if indeed it was the cable length I tired a much shorter run of cable to the set in the kitchen which came out no better at all.

"tune it into the digibox RF frequency (68/69), it may be that it's too close to the normal frequencies that are used in your locale so it will need to be altered."

Would altering this make things any better in my case or is it now just a case that I have it tuned as good as it's going to get without either buying good quality cable or a digisender ?

thanks

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If the picture is poor then the digibox RF frequency is too close the ones your local transmitter uses so altering the digibox RF output will improve the reception on the seocnd TV.
    Good quality cable is a must for any length of connection, unless it's well shielded it can pick up interference from any electrical source.

My Terrestrial Frequencies...

35 - 54 - 58 - 61 - 64

My digibox RF output through the TVlink is 68, it didn't need tweaking to get a clear picture.
    Find out what yours are and experiment a bit:)

7. marcatkins

marcatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "My Terrestrial Frequencies...

35 - 54 - 58 - 61 - 64"

How do I go about finding mine ?

And if I alter the box frequency is it poss I could screw things up and end up with no pic at all :eek: Is there anything I really dont want to do by mistake !

You fed up with this yet :D

8. marcatkins

marcatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stop press.....

"On the SKY remote......
    Services
    Select

I can do services & then select 4 but after that my options only goto 7 ......somethings not right ?????

The box is a Pace FWIW...not sure of model #

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just press the buttons, ignore the screen since it's a "secret" menu so there are no visual cclues until you get there:)

Well I know my terrestrial freqencies because my PC capture card has them listed just a click away.
    You should be able to access the tuning menu on your TV and that should tell you what each channel is tuned too.

Since everyone should be viewing SKY through a scart or s-video connection adjusting the RF output won't alter those outputs so don't worry about that. Infact the RF connection is only really useful for connecting a second TV since it's the worst connection method that's in use

10. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem. Just re-tune the digi-box to a differen't RF frequency like Starburst said and all will be fine.

P.s. Don't forget that once you've done that you will need to search out/re-tune the channel again on the second TV.

11. marcatkins

marcatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

Just a quickie to say job done .....crystal clear upstairs now :D

Thank's to all who helped ,you saved me 80 quid :eek:

12. wen

wen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you ever wanted to split the signal for more tv's then your best bet would be to go for a signal booster - about £12 for a 3 set.
    then boost the signal out of the one rf output and you have another three tv's showing sky.

i have rf1 to digi link thing - so i can turn it over in the bedroom.
    rf2 to the main tv, son's bedroom and kitchen. i still have one free out put....i wonder if i could fit a telly into the bathroom?????

well the world cup is coming.:D

wen