Multiple connection help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dontpannic, Nov 28, 2010.

1. dontpannic

dontpannic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm sure I've been here before however I had to re-register. Had a load of help last time so I'm hoping for something similar this time round :)

I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall trying to work out a new setup at home.

In my room, I have a wall mounted 32" LCD, Custom Built PC with Creative Audigy 2 soundcard, a Virgin Media V+HD Cable box, and a DVD recorder.

I have a set of Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers currently connected to my PC.

At the moment, I'm only using the 5.1 speakers for the PC (coming directly from the Soundblaster), however I have just ordered a PS3 as a treat for Christmas.

Video wise- I'm sorted already. The TV has 2x HDMI, 2x Scart, 1x VGA (which covers my PC, V+, DVD Recorder, and when the PS3 arrives, it will take the 2nd HDMI socket.

Its audio thats the problem.

I'd like to be able to use the optical outputs of both the PS3 and the V+ box, and use them with my current 5.1 speakers.

There was once a device, the Creative DDTS-100, which would have been perfect for my needs, however trying to find one is an absolute nightmare. I am currently the highest bidder on one on eBay but I have no doubt that I won't win it! So I'm looking for alternatives.

The Audigy 2 has one Optical input, and plenty of RCA's, and the PC accepts the inputs fine, however the PSU and fans in the PC are fairly loud, so having the PC on when I'm watching a film or playing a game would ruin the experience.

What bit of equipment would I need?

Inputs:
    2x Optical (PS3 and V+)
    1x RCA (DVD Recorder)
    1x Green/Black/Orange analog (PC 5.1)

Outputs:
    1x Green/Black/Orange analog (speakers 5.1).

Any clues? Sorry if I've lost anyone along the way :laugh:

Cheers!
    Nick

2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi

If you have a optical audio out on your tv, with the exception of the pc, you can have all your sources hook up to the tv and connect the optical to the speakers. The PC stay connected to the speakers.

Or

Buy a cheap s/h av with the required connections to suit your budget, connect audio sources to that (again pc staying where it is) and connect the optical from that to your speakers

Or

Your first choice which i found on amazon

Amazon.co.uk: creative decoder ddts-100

Hopefully there a more devices like the above for less as they are less intrusive than a av