1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiple amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scouse, Jan 23, 2003.

1. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you have an AV receiver with pre-outs for front, rear and centre, what is stopping you from having a separate amp for each speaker set??

I am guessing you'd have to alter the volume on each amp everytime you wanted to alter the overall volume....

(Can you tell i'm new to this?)

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can use multiple power amps without problem, the volume will still be controlled by the receiver.

3. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply Gary

Is it preferable then to have say 3 additional amps on each speaker set than to have only one additional amp on the two front speakers?

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Difficult one to answer.

If money was no object then the anwser would be yes, however, in the real world most people have a financial limit.

For many films, the output is mainly from the centre channel followed by effects using the Left/Right channels and effects using the rear channels.

On that basis, having amps on the rear channels and not on the front channels for example would not be making the best use of the resources.

During my years of upgrading I found the most effective split of the funds was to spend the bulk of the money on the front three amps and use lesser amps (or even the receivers amps) at the rear (in those days pro-logic was the major format so the rears were bandwidth limited mono signals anyway), over time I was able to upgrade all channels to the same amplifiers, although I've now gone a stage further and use better quality amps for the Left and Right channels for music use.

Naturally, I'm assuming that the amplifiers you intend to use are of a higher quality than the receivers amps. At a later stage you can then upgrade your receiver to a stand-alone processor to make even better use of your external amplifiers.

If you listen to music, depending on your receiver you may gain a worthwhile improvement by routing the analogue signals of your DVD player directly through the amplifers, this reguires either an integrated stereo amplifier, seperate pre-amplifier or attenutator to control the volume. More details are available in this thread:

www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58979

5. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks a lot gary for the advice... I have only one more question. What are you looking out for when listening to music or DVD's when deciding on whether one amp is better than another?

Thanks in advance.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Presumeably you are comparing external amps to your receiver amps and are switching between the two.

It's best to play a well mastered/produced music track where there is a variety of instruments being used covering the audio spectrum so that you can hear the amps ability to reproduce all frequencies. You should 'instinctively' know if an external amp is better, if you don't hear much of a difference then either the amp is no better that your receiver's amp or your system isn't resolving enough detail for the amp to show it's merit in which case an external amp is not going to be an improvement unless it's more powerful and you need the extra power.

Try listening to the music with your eyes closed and see if it makes any difference.

7. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scouse,

beware this man GaryG as he not only gives good advice but, like a number of other such on this Forum, he helps you up the learning curve and the next this you know, you are beginning to think like the rest of these AV/HiFi enthusiasts.

Next thing you know you will be buying yet more music and more DVDs and spending more and more well deserved leisure time listening - especially is you close your eyes.

Given how a certain football team has been playing lately, its no wonder you have time on your hands.

:D :devil: :D

ditton

ps GaryG, this PM stuff can be a bit frustrating. I'm on the trail of the LX, and am even in email contact with the expensive DAC man. Watch out scouse-man ...

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    {scouse, cuse the hijack}

GaryG now sends me PM like:
    Well, thinks I, that's alright then ... :rolleyes:

Gary, whose PM box needs an upgrade (!): It's a big step. I am arranging to audition, if he still has for sale on 6th Feb, when I am nxt down in London. I was thinking of visiting friends and going to the Bristol show in order that I could do some listening there - but perhaps that would be too noisy. Trouble with listening in local stores is that I feel a bit odd if I am just using them rather than buying from them.

ditton

ps perhaps, I should re-start the 'musicality' thread ... seemed to attract a lot of useful comments

9. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Liverpool are doing just fine thank you very much ;). I notice you didn't mention your own team choice....!

I have decided on the Marantz sr4300 for my receiver. I have a set of wharfedale Valdus 400's as my two fronts, and i know this isn't really the thread to introduce this to, but i fancy some mission 71 or 72's, or diamond 8.1 or 8.2's as my rears. What do you reckon?? A choice for a centre speaker has yet to be made.

Also, still inappropriate thread, my dvd player is a cheap and nasty apex, and i need to upgrade whilst still keeping the mp3 playback characteristic. Do you know of any good players? My budget is about 100-200 secondhand.

Thanks

Regards

Scouse

10. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scouse,
    I'll leave others to comment on speakers (tho' you would do well to just post another in that section), and just add that the Tosh 220 (mult reg) is still a good value bargain, at RS, but at up to £200 s/h much depends on what features you want on the picture side, and that depends on what you currently have (or intend to get) by way of TV or other display.

I have the Tosh SD510 dvdplayer & the Tosh 32ZD26 tv [zd26], which do very well together in delivering hi quality pictures using [NTSC] (region1 discs) [progressive scan] via RGB [component] cable.

Have a browse about the dvd & the tv sections, searching on some of the [terms].

good luck

ditton15

I'll refrain from getting further into footy exchange (but pleased that you and yours have come out of depression now that you have reached the final of the worthless cup :p ). the only hint I'll give is that we are doing tres bon, and are on track to repeat last year's achievement ;)

11. scouse

scouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks fella, i'm guesing you're an arsenal fan...but i won't hold that against you ;)

i'll have a gander at the tosh...

thanks again...