Multiple Amplifiers and Speakers

English Invader

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using a pair of vintage speakers for the past year (Castle Acoustics Richmond from February 1974) and I've been toying with the idea of exploring different systems to find out what else is out there. My friends are able to say "I like this system so what does it matter what else is out there?" but I thirst for a deeper knowledge and understanding.

Zero Fidelity once said that the biggest strength of a pair of speakers is usually their biggest weakness and the main thing my speakers are good at is being a pair of 70s speakers; the looser bass and treble adds a certain warmth to the sound and I pair them with a NAD 310 amplifier which has a very clear sound with an SNR of 106db and the combination of that with the distortion of the speakers creates the warm, involving sound I like. And, of course, their main weakness is that they're a pair of 70s speakers and don't have the refined bass and treble of later designs.

The flip side to chopping and changing is that I don't want to disconnect the Castles and put them in a box somewhere and get them out once in a while when I feel like "going retro" and that is the inevitable consequence of bringing more amplifiers and speakers into the picture. I've spent the last 15 hours or so agonising over a £520 bundle for a pair of Q Acoustics 3030i speakers and a NAD C 316BEE v2 amplifier and I feel that if I click the button I'm consigning the Castles to the scrap heap.

I don't suppose that I'm the only one that's faced this dilemma and that's why I'm posting here. How did you guys resolve it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom