Multimedia Wall Construction

10hazza

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've read on here for a few years but never contributed so thought as I am taking on a small project I would register and join the fun. First things first, I will be buying the Samsung LE46A786R2 LCD TV on the weekend. I have already bought a wall mount (extendable and full motion), cables and home cinema system (Sony HT-SF1300). The mount weighs 15kg and the TV weighs 29kg. I will be constructing a timber wall to put this on as well as incorporating speakers, Xbox 360 and PS3. Would anybody be kind enough to recommend fixings or fixing methods as opposed to the screws provided with the wall mount as they will not be sufficiently strong enough. I will be using 150x47 studs just to be sure.

Thanks

Leigh

Below are a few copmuter models of my room and walk in wardrobe where the multimedia wall is set to go. The image with a screen is just to give an indication of the screen size. I'll post as the project progresses. The rear surround speakers are, as you can see, already mounted with a pretty picture :)
TelevisionSetupRender10.jpg
TelevisionSetupRender9.jpg
TelevisionSetupRender15.jpg
014.jpg

Below are a few copmuter models of my room and walk in wardrobe where the multimedia wall is set to go. The image with a screen is just to give an indication of the screen size. I'll post as the project progresses. The rear surround speakers are, as you can see, already mounted with a pretty picture :)
TelevisionSetupRender10.jpg
TelevisionSetupRender9.jpg
TelevisionSetupRender15.jpg
014.jpg

can i just ask where that picture is from?

thanks

Yes that is correct, TV in a wardrobe, keeps it clean and suprises the friends :D picture was from a shop in Nottingham, cannot recall the name though sorry, i'll see if i have the receipt when i get home from work and let you know.

6X2 blimey you could hang ten lcds from that 3x2 would be plenty or 4x2 if you are really worried, just use 3inch 10s or 12s wood screws making sure you place studs to match your bracket. by the way i am a carpenter so would like to think i know what i am talking about, oh and when you do your studwork make sure you run a row of noggins through the middle this will stiffen it up.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. My worry is not with the timbers just the means by which the TV and mount will stay attached to the wall. Wanted to use 150's so whatever i use to hold the mount will have more purchase on the timbers. Seeing as you are a carpenter i'll pick your brains if thats ok!? Hoping to build the wall connecting it to only the floor and ceiling joists leaving a space at either side to have speakers and to backlight it. Will this be strong enough spanning a 2535 height or would i need to connect it to the walls either side?
Thanks

Yes that is correct, TV in a wardrobe, keeps it clean and suprises the friends

Not as much as much as you being all mysterious suggesting they pop up to your bedroom :D

Some really nice ideas though. Could be absolutely stunning. What programme did you use for the mock up?

I used ArchiCad 12, very powerful and great program once you know how to use it, the models above are very basic still so that gives you some indication of how powerful it is. If you can get hold of it I highly recommend it but its rather expensive!

The best thing you can do is visit "Wickes'" web site and download their leaflet on how to build a stud wall. That will explain everything a DIYer needs to know.

Tip 1. Use cls profile timber rather than rough sawn. It's what is known as "regularised" which means that it is planed and (mostly straight and true). It's also stress graded so should be free from larges knots, splits and shakes. You can get it from builders merchants such as Travis Perkins.

Tip 2. Use screws rather than nails to build the stud wall. Then if you make a "cock up" its easier to put right.

Tip 3. 50 x 75 (nominal) will be more than adequate.

By the way, a single 50 mm x 5 mm (2" x 10) screw has a withdraw weight in excess of 150kg in yellow pine (fixed into side grain, not end grain of course).

The fixings supplied with the bracket will be more than adequate. Just make sure that you arrange the uprights and studs so that they line up with where you want to fit the bracket.

thanks for everyones help. I am aware of how to construct a stud wall as i am an architectural technician but have heard a lot of stories of peoples wall mounted TV's coming loose from timber studs. Was just curious what would be best and overly strong. Was thinking some kind of through-bolt?

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. My worry is not with the timbers just the means by which the TV and mount will stay attached to the wall. Wanted to use 150's so whatever i use to hold the mount will have more purchase on the timbers. Seeing as you are a carpenter i'll pick your brains if thats ok!? Hoping to build the wall connecting it to only the floor and ceiling joists leaving a space at either side to have speakers and to backlight it. Will this be strong enough spanning a 2535 height or would i need to connect it to the walls either side?
Thanks

Just curious. If you are an architectural technician, why are you asking these questions?

I don't know much about loads off walls, i design layouts and plans, the structural engineers figure out the loads and recommend the best construction. I still have 3 years of my course remaining so a lot to learn still :)

Fair enough. I have my own business designing and building timber structures (my ID should give you a clue). These structure are often raised and need to take the weight of (say) 100 people or more and/or a hot tub full of water. You can trust my advice.

Oh, and I've probably been doing it since you were lying a cot full of s**t and broken biscuits :D (No offence meant).

haha none taken and probably true! although i like to think i was well potty trained :D i'm greatful for any advice given especially if you do it for a living!! really appreciate it and you probably havent heard the last from me :)

hi, should be fine to fix studwork top and bottom, make sure you do not screw into any pipes , also when you screw into the ceiling you may have to get up into your loft and fix some noggins between your ceiling joists to screw to. as decking man said a 50mm screw will hold a lot of weight, at the end of the day the screw holding your bracket to your tv will only be 25mm or so long.
Andy

Thanks Andy, went in my loft a few days ago and the joists will run paralell to the orientation of the head plate so noggins will be needed!! Will hopefully get the time to do some designs over the weekend so i'll post any ideas when and if they come to me!

Thanks

Leigh

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom