Multicoloured snow - HDCP errors?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bursar, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I've had my HD for a couple of months now (it's a Thompson box), and it's connected via HDMI to my Sharp LC42XD1E TV (also an optical connection to my receiver).

Initially, everything was great. But over the last few weeks, I've been getting multicoloured snow appearing at random. It doesn't matter what channel I'm watching, or if it's an HD channel. If we get the problem whilst watching a program that is also being recorded, the program continues to record as normal. If we're listening to it via the optical cable, then the sound keeps playing. Sound over the HDMI connection is lost.

The only way to fix it is to switch inputs on the TV, and then go back to the Sky input (Ext 6). I suspect that Sky put out an update and now it's having HDCP issues with the TV.

The TV is switched off with it's power button (not at the electrical socket) every night, and the Sky box is left to go into standby automatically during the night. When I switch things on, I power up the TV, and then press the standby button on the Sky remote. The picture comes up within a second or two, so I guess the handshake must happen OK at that point. It's just seems that at random intervals it tries to renegotiate the connection, and that's where it falls over.

Has anyone got any possible solutions to this, or experiencing similar problems (just so I know I'm not alone!)? I find it annoying, but it's driving the wife spare, and she just shouts at the TV!

2. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,543
    Could be handshake problems between the box and TV although it has worked before. Do you have another HDMI lead to try? I would put money on that being the problem.

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I should have another lead kicking around I can try, but I discounted it because it worked previously.

4. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,543
    HDMI lead's can fail. I had one connected to my PC which failed after a year. It's not always easy to tell the build quality on these cables. It's defiantly worth trying.

5. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    I had an HDMI to DVI cable, the HDCP pin just broke internally.

It's bad luck, but atleast it is a cheap fix.