Multichannel power amps to match Bryston 3B-SST

ukaudiophile

Hello,

I've finally decided to take the plunge with the audio side of my home theater and upgrade from my Onkyo A/V receiver and move to a pre/pro with separate amplifiers as part of my Martin Logan / Atmos upgrade.

I currently use ML Vantage speakers with a Bryston 3B-SST for front L/R and these are staying, I am now adding two pairs of Martin Logan FX2's for side and rear, an ML Stage center and then installing 4 ML Electromotion R's (sadly couldn't stretch to the Vanquish right now) for Atmos height channels.

I was going to drive all this from an Atmos A/V receiver, but increasingly I've been thinking that moving to a dedicated Pre/Pro would give me a significant step up in sound quality, so I'm focussing on either a Marantz 7702 Mk2 or 8802. My dream processor would be a Datasat LS10, but I could only afford a used one (and it would have to be cheap) and I know I would need an older procesor upgrading for HDCP 2.2 and Atmos, so I fear that could put that option out of reach for now.

My quandry is really the power amps. I am a huge fan of Bryston, used their products exclusively in my stereo system for almost 20 years and never had a minutes trouble from them, but sadly a 9B-SST is beyond my budget, especially given the fact I'll need 9 channels of amplification, and finding those used at a reasonable price is rare in the UK. I am happy to go used if it's a brand I trust, however, so my options are :-

1 X Audiolab 8200X7 + 8200P
1 X Marantz MM8807 + MM7025
2 X Marantz MM7055
2 X Wyred4sound MC7150
2 X used Lexicon NT512 or LX7

The Audiolab power amps are a pairing I feel I know, I used to own an 8000a integrated and briefly an Audiolab 8000 q/p before the TagMcLaren takeover, and I know there are similarities between the Audiolab amps and the Bryston in terms of absolute clarity, but the lack of a 12v trigger is a slight niggle.

The Marantz amps I know to be very good, but they always had a reputation to a slight warmth so I worry about how they'll match my Bryston power amp.

The Wyred4Sound multi channel amps use the B&O ICEPower modules, and have a reputation for almost clinical clarity, so I suspect they would be a great match, but they are difficult to demo, but I can get them on a buy or return option which would make a trial possible.

Finally there's my favourite, which is used Lexicon NT series amps which are Bryston ST series multi channel amps, I don't see many coming up for sale in the UK, but I would love to pick up a couple of NT512's. I know I can get them in the USA, but then there is the issue of either having them converted to UK mains voltages or using a 240 - 110v step down transformer. Does anyone here happen to know how easy it is to change the input voltages on these amps?

I think I've thought of all the possible options which would be within my price range and would be a good sonic match for the Bryston's, but I'm obviously open to any other suggestions. Does anyone here have any experience matching any of these amps to a Bryston (or know where I can pick up a used Bryston multi channel amp at a good price :) )

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Best wishes,

Dave

silverback1

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you are building up a first rate system, just wondered what you consider a good price for a Bryston 9BSST2 as I know someone who runs a Marantz pre/processor with such a power amp!...and I know he is thinking of changing in the near future.

the_dude2

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you are building up a first rate system, just wondered what you consider a good price for a Bryston 9BSST2 as I know someone who runs a Marantz pre/processor with such a power amp!...and I know he is thinking of changing in the near future.
Man, I would love to take that off your mates hands but I fear it's going to be too expensive for me :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom