Multi Zone in a single room?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by WalshG, Aug 8, 2012.

1. WalshG

WalshG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This appears to be opposite to most of the discssions I can find on here which makes me think I may not be thinking straight on this one!

We are having an extension to give a large open plan living space approx 11m x 6.5m, this will be divided up into a dinning area, kitchen area and seating area. I want to put speakers in the ceiling to deliver audio (I have a cupboard to hide AMP and sources in), where should I place the speakers?

Could the room be split into three controllable zones with three sets of speakers? This would work well as each of the areas in the room would want the same audio but could be delivered at different volumes, or off, depending on how they are being used.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Greg

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,851
    Use the additional zone output of a suitable AV amp to a speaker switch. Wire the two additional zones to the switch so that they can be activated individually or powered simultaneously. You can even include individual rheostats for the two individual zones in order to have some degree of independent control over volume in each of the zones.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/1030/qed-ss20-2-way-speaker-switch-parallel

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...auto-transformer-level-speaker-volume-control

There are other ways such as using the passive second zone abilities of a suitable AV amp to send a signal to an external multichannel amp with multi zone capabilities, bit this can become expensive.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    What sources do you have? Will the system be used for TV or a HT system?
    Teac do a multi zone stereo amp (920 I think is the model number but if google search Teac multizone amp it should come up) which should do what you want if looking a stereo use.

4. WalshG

WalshG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This will be just audio, the source will probably be Squeezebox.

The Teac amp looks like a good fit, do you know of any similar products with network control? If I am going to use the Squeezebox I can control it from an iPhone and I would like to do the same with the amp if possible.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Network control is only really available on AV receivers but then you will be buying a load of processing and features you do not need. I know of no stereo product like the TEAC with network control.