multi voltage installation 110v/60Hz -> 240v/50Hz

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by girishvg, Dec 31, 2006.

1. girishvg

girishvg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there. after some search i could not find a proper answer to the doubt i have while planning my installation. apologies if it is repeating, so here it goes. i have +3 years old component HT system purchased in Japan.

.1 Yamaha RXV1400 (110v/60Hz, 240v/50Hz)
    .2 Pioneer DVD player (110v/60Hz, 240v/50Hz)
    .3 Fujitsu PlasmaVision 52" (110v/60Hz, 240v/50Hz)
    .4 Bose Acoustimass 5.1 (110v/60Hz)

as you can see almost all components are multi-voltage, except the speakers. now i am in process to move this system to India where voltage system is 240v/50Hz. in that case should i go for -
    .a one single step-down transformer (good quality) for all components
    or
    .b one step-down transformer for just speakers alone

in either case what quality difference am i to expect? would appreciate the comments and feedback.

2. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Well if India is 240v/50Hz then all the components will run fine except the speakers so why would you get a step down transformer for all components or am I misunderstanding?

What about getting a new speaker setup that is 240v/50Hz.

Nickp.

3. girishvg

girishvg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nickp.

I understand, only speakers need the step-down transformer. As of now, I have been running entire system under 110v/60Hz. I was wondering if there will be any sort of gain in quality if I replicate the 110v setup?

Yes replacing the speakers is an option. Since it is a Bose speakers system, sometimes I enjoy the bumpy sound when I watch movies. Also I would like to study more about the speakers, so I am not in a mind to give them up right away.

Would you happen to know, what kind of step-down transformer I should specifiy to get near to good quality? I mean other than just to say 'give me 240 to 110v step-down transformer', what else should I be specifying?

WBR.
    girish.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,258
    I doubt there will be anything to be gained by running the rest of the gear via a transformer. Only needed for the speakers.

When buying, you'll need to ensure your transformer can deliver the rated power consumption of the speaker system. You'll need to look on the data plate for this. It will be quoted as one of
    Watts (note: this isn't the "output" watts)
    or
    VA (which is just another way of saying watts)
    or
    Amps.

And, to convert between Watts and Amps use the formula:

Watts = Volts x Amps (where Volts is the 110 required by the gear).

The 50hz/60hz thing is a non-issue. Forget it.