1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi VGA adapter?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ian1969uk, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Philips TV has only one socket that shares VGA/DVI/HDMI input. My DVD player is connected to this through a component to VGA lead and works great. However, XBox 360 is out soon and I will be getting one. To get high definition gaming, that also needs to go into the same socket.

Is there a multiple VGA switcher/adapter, much like the multi SCARTs that are available but for VGA. Presumably I could then put this into my one VGA socket and run the DVD and XBox from it. If it had, say, 4 inputs then all the better as it would then take HD TV and also PS3.

Is such a thing available?

Thanks.

2. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Got the same problem here myself...Media Cantre PC and JS technology RGB to VGA converter..both going into Plasma VGA input. Still having to manually unplug and plug when I need to switch inputs to VGA...is there suck a device that switches VGA with no loss of signal..ideally something automatis or at least IR controlled ?

Graham

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello both

A whole nest of problems rolled into two simple questions :)

candg - a Zektor HDS4 will switch your two signals. It inputs and outputs on RCA connectors; so you'll require HD15(VGA) to 5RCA cables. The HDS4 can be set to react to any IR commands - most folk set it to react to you choosing a new source on your AV Receiver so the video switches in tandem with your audio.

See http://www.zektor.com

ian1969uk - where to start!!!

Your TV has a DVI-I Input socket. DVI-I has the ability to work with Digital and Analogue RGB and YUV signals.

Currently your using a DVI-I to HD15 (VGA) adapter along with a 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable to Input a YUV 'Component' signal with your TV - this works because the YUV signal is wired to the same pins on an HD15 (VGA) connector as the Red, Green and Blue pins in an RGBHV signal.

Once you start to add in HD Sources your making things more complex as they are most likely to be Digital with HDCP encryption applied.

You need to either have all same type signal (Analogue or Digital) going into a suitable Video switcher then into the DVI-I socket or (what's more likely) you may need to consider a Video Processor that can take a variety of Analogue and Digital source signals and bring them all together as a single Digital signal.

Another 'option' may be a DVI-I 'break out' cable - pretty rare; these have a DVI-D + an HD15 (VGA) connector on two separate flying leads. You would then add a suitable Analogue switcher to the HD15 (VGA) cable end plus a suitable DVI or HDMI switcher to the DVI cable end.

You would have to manually select 'Digital or Analogue' in the TV user menu to switch between the two switchers; so not fully automated - though less hassle than manually switching sources.

If your HD sources were all outputting Analogue YUV 'Component' then the Zektor HDS4 as outlined above attached to the end of your VGA (HD15) cable will do what you require.

What sources are you planning and is your TV's DVI-I socket HDCP compliant?

Best regards

Joe

4. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe, I had a feeling it would be complex. I want to keep my DVD player connected through component as that is surely the best picture. However, if I had to I guess that could go RGB SCART if it made things better for connectivity of the other things.

The next thing I need to connect will be the XBox 360 and that is available with a VGA connector or a component connector for HD gaming.

In future I will want to use a PS3 and HDTV but I am unsure what connectors these will come with.

Yes, the DVI socket is HDCP compliant.

Is that Zektor available anywhere in the UK? Forgive my ignorance but how would the audio be handled on that unit?

I appreciate any advice re: the best way of dealing with all these connections. I am unsure if PS3 or HDTV will come with analogue component output or not.

5. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA splitter (breakout) cables are very cheap on ebay, Dell brand - Molex made, and they seem to constantly turn up. I got mine for £2.50 a few months ago, DVI-D and VGA inputs from PC fine, as does component to VGA. On my TV the VGA signal defaults if both DVI-D (PC) and VGA (component adapter) are present, and the DVI is in Auto select mode. It just means having to manually change the DVI setting each time, similar to pressing a source button.

I did it because I did not want to weaken the DVI socket by constantly changing cables. Or clamber around the back each time I wanted to change source, I also have a dreamcast VGA so I still need to change, however the length of the breakout cable helps.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-DVI-to-V...ryZ67859QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The quality of the cable is fine, its RRP is much higher than £2.50, Dell have offers on Accessories, which are quite often mispriced. I believe these guys probably snap up the cheap accessories.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello ian1969uk

The Zektor switchers have Coaxial plus Optical Digital Video Inputs and Outputs - plus Stereo if your switching YUV not RGBHV video as you can use two of the Analogue channels for Audio.

The Digital Audio Inputs are cross converted - Input 2 x Coaxial + 2 x Optical and all four signals are available on both the Coaxial and Optical Output!

See the Zektor web site for info on UK sales - http://www.zektor.com/dealers/index.html :)

It sounds to me that you may be heading into more expensive technology to achieve your 'switching' requirements as you add more and more signal options - an 'entry level' external Video Processor may be your best option once you start to try and mix and match various Analogue and Digital video signals.

Your planned HD sources will use HDCP encryption on a Digital video Out (DVI or HDMI) - add to that your various SD and HD Analogue signals and you require either the DVI-I splitter cable (as described by RockySpieler) plus 1 x Analogue (YUV + RGBHV) and 1 x Digital switcher.

The likes of DVDO, Lumagen, Cinemateq, PMS... have Multi-input Video Processors that Input Composite, S-Video, YUV, RGB+Composite, RGBHV in both SD and HD formats (inc Digital with HDCP) and once configured will Output a single Digital signal Optimised for your Display.

See the 'Video Processor' Forum here on AVForums for more background on these devices - http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Best regards

Joe