1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Subs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bwstsw, Sep 30, 2003.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a entry/mid range Sony amp, with 1 sub out connector, is it poss to connect more subs somehow?

Cheers :)

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No problem, just use a Y-connector / adapter cable if your sub doesn't have an output to daisy-chain them.
    (Or buy the new sub with in- and output.)

3. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Depends on what you wish to do.
    If you simply want 2 subs outputting the same then using a splitter cable from the same output will be enough.

I would recommend not using the sub output however. Depending on your front speakers you may like to try setting up the front channels to output to each sub with the crossover output of the sub going to the front speakers. The effectively separates tfilters our the sub bass from your front speakers, reducing cabinet vibrations and allowing for cleanmer treble & midrange, whilst ensuring even bass distribution across the whole of the front (you need to situate the subs next to each front). If you try this out you must remember to switch the sub output off on your amp so that the low frequencies from the soundtrack are re-routed to the front speakers and you dont looses anything.

Controversial advice I know but worth a try if you already have the subs. This system works well with the Rogers speakers I have, essentially bookshelf speakers that stand on their own passive subs to turn the whole package into floor standers. I'm not sure why but this seems to be a design that is not utilised anymore but I have found it compares favourably to similarly priced setups.

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think a digital xover is always better than the analog in the subwoofers, unless you want to use lower cutoff then available on the receiver...

I use the splitter for my two subs...

5. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any good sites you guys know of where you can buy these splitters etc? cheers.

6. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
  7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: