1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-standard

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gofer, Jun 5, 2005.

1. gofer

gofer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking for a panel that I could take to the US if needed (may need to go there for work for a few years). Looking around the web for LCD screens that will work (with a voltage step up transformer) and cope with NTSC signal & 50/60Hz, only thing I have seen so far that fits the bill is Loewe Spheros. Anybody kniow of any others?

Also give that most US TV is delivered by cabe am I right in thinking panel only solution could be better? TV is delivered by cable today so I am wondering whether to bother with a tuner. :confused:

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most TVs will be capable of NTSC even if this is not explicitly mentioned.
    However, this does not mean they will work in the US when brought over. It is only intended to display NTSC signals from external sources.

Tuner standards vary all over the world, and are different between US and Europe.
    The best solution is to buy a TV in the area where it is going to be used, and ask locally about requirements of cable, satellite, etc.

3. gofer

gofer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Tuner standards vary all over the world, and are different between US and Europe".

Thats why I am thinking panel only could be the best solution - no?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah. Or, you could subscribe to digital cable (or if you're that lucky and live in the right area, buy an external Over the Air HDTV receiver) and plug that in to the TVs video inputs, bypassing its analog tuner.

A better idea still would be just to buy the TV when you're there.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'd second that. Even small LCD panels are quite heavy, so unless you're thinking of one of these 7" screens, it might not be worth paying the carriage. With the current £/$ exchange rate, you'll probably pick up a bargain while you're out there. Look in "Circuit City" stores, they have a lot of bargains.