Multi Standard VCR's

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by MC Stompin, Feb 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. MC Stompin

MC Stompin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Multi Standard VCR, the one's that play and record both PAL and NTSC. The reason I want one is so I can trade boxing fights with people from America. I want to be able to convert there NTSC tapes to PAL and our PAL tapes to NTSC. I already know which converter I need, I just need some advice on the VCR, I have been recommended the Thompson VTH7090, but I can't find this anywhere. Does anyone have any Idea's.

Thanks alot.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Funny you should ask.

I was after one of these just a few weeks ago, to specifically match my Thomson Tivo.

The unit seems very clever indeed, and pic performance was outstanding. If you haven't seen already, there is a review on what video website:

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/VideoRecorders/Thomson/ThomsonVTH7090.shtml

Anyway, although it was impressive, it was too complicated for us to use day-to-day. Another problem was that it would not display menu or OSD without being connected via RGB. Also, there is no onboard RF modulator. Very strange.

Trying to find one of these was a bit of a nightmare, the only internet sites that came up on a search were ones with old pricing lists, and hence they didn't actually have one. I couldn't even find any refrence to this vcr on Thomson's websites (english or french)

If you are certain you want this machine, I might be able to help you get it.

I know of two retailers who both have display models only, which seem in perfect condition - the chances of finding boxed stock will be nill, I would imagine. Northern Electric (my regional electricity provider) has it at £225. An 'ex-catalogue' store has it at £199.

These retailers are both in Middlesbrough.

If I can be of any further assistance, just let me know.

3. MC Stompin

MC Stompin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon your a life saver !!

I rang Thomson today and they said they had discontinued it. If we can sort something out I would be really greatful.

e-mail me on [email protected] as soon as possible please. I live just next to Middlesbourgh so we shouldn't have to much of a problem.

THANKS A LOT !!!

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Thomson Scenium (or something like that) which I think is the next model up.

Quality is the best I have seen on VHS.

It does have the problem of the menu stuff, but I have a quatro box to sort that out. If I remember right it has, RGB scart, composite scart, in/out phonos on back, and input only phonos on the front.

I think the in/out phonos also have the menu stuff on. It also downloads TV listings from teletext.

I got it a a big Comets in Reading last year.