1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-standard converter

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I need a box to convert from analogue sources to SDI so that I can feed it through my DScaler SDI card. The problem is the cheap converters aren't cheap and are quite limited. Then I came across the new Kramer FC-4045 which is availale for about £1000.

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/group4/fc4045pic.html

Does this look any good? Maybe Richard A can comment, are there any other products at around this price level that I should look at.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

I have to say it doesn't look bad - I haven't seen one in the flesh, so to speak, but generally Kramer kit is effeciant and cost effective. The only questions I would have on it (and any other box you may look at) are;

Does it handle poor timebase signals (i.e. VHS)?
    Does it handle Macrovision?
    How good is the composite decoding?

The only other solution that springs to mind are the Miranda 'pens' as sold by Canford Audio - unfortunatley my catalogue is in the office and I'm not so I can't check pricing but I think they are in the few hundred pound range.

hope this helps,

Richard.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Thanks Richard, I had a look at the Miranda Picolinks which are available in the US for about $650, the only supplier I could find in the UK has them listed at over £700. I would be interested to find out how much Canfords sell them for. At £999 the Kramer looks like a bargain to me, I'm not too worried about composite or macrovision, it will mainly be used for things like Sky Digital (svideo or RGB) or PS2 (svideo or component). I really like the idea of having an any to any standard converter rather than get a box that just converts svideo - SDI or component - SDI. The other route is to go straight SDI - SDI, but at about £1000 for a DVD player and £1500 for Sky its very expensive. I'm hopeing that using a good external AD converter will still be much better than feeding analogue into a PC with a cheap capture card.

Jeff