Multi Sim Holder

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by spongefactory, Apr 28, 2007.

1. spongefactory

spongefactory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have cut two Virgin sim cards and fitted them into a twin sim card holder. I don't know what make it is, but it's a '12th gen dual holder'. It works fine for calls, changing from one sim to the other easily, but I can't send or receive texts. Has anyone tried one of these multi sim holders? Is there any known issues with texts?
    I have tried another (uncut) sim and texting works fine.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Ludicrous69

Ludicrous69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.simore.ch

I have one of these and it works fine with the two O2 sim cards I have
    but I tried cutting a Mobile World and Sim4travel sim cards and they didnt work, yet when i placed them into the holder to make them full size again they worked fine

3. spongefactory

spongefactory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have discovered that texting works if I reboot the phone after switching sims. Using the menu to change sims works fine for calls, but I have to switch off then switch on again to text. Strange but it's not a problem for me.

4. pacificdragon

pacificdragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Unless you really need to I would always try and avoid buying one of the DIY dual sim card holders where you need to cut the sim card,,,, I've got several 12th generation dual card holders were you place the whole sim card in the slot,,,

There are limitations with dual sim card holders, they so far only work on GSM not UTMS which means you can only do 2 or 2.5 g services i.e. call, text and GPRS, you cannot send or receive MMS ( at least not that I'm aware of. )

You should not have any problems sending SMS,, I have a T-Mobile and Voda sim card and both allow me to make / receive voicecalls and text messages,, neither allow me to send or receive MMS, and I surf on my T-Mobile sim card through the web n walk..

Check ebay and search under dual sim card holder,,, there is a chap who usually sells them for a few quid never had any probs and works fine with my phones, Nokia E61 and Nokia N95

5. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    This isn't strictly true. They do work with 3G (UTMS) but, you need to use an analogue version. These are the ones that switch sims when you switch the phone off and then back on again.
    These seem a bit pointless to me as, by the time you've switched the phone off, you're halfway to physically changing the sim anyway :rolleyes:

6. pacificdragon

pacificdragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry I didn't make my last comments too clear the phones do work on UTMS but as my phone works perfect on UTMS but I cannot send or receive MMS, but can do GPRS,,, as I don't send or receive that many MMS it makes no difference to me and if I really had the urge I could take the individual sim out and place it on the phone,, but yeah totally agree, seems pointless you have to switch the phone on or off, my dual sim card holder automatically switches every 5 mins to check for sms, as I divert all voicecalls to my main number,,,

I do recommend them for people who have work and personal sim card and need to carry both with them having both sims in the same device saves me carrying 2 phones about with me....

Brian...

7. Learningfast

Learningfast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I carry an orange work mobile and a voda personal one. Am I right in thinking that that if I fit a dual sim into an unlocked phone, you only get an incoming call from the sim in use, i.e if someone calls my personal number, when I am using the business sim (not even calling, just on standby), they would go to my personal ansafone?