1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Room Video Audio

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ukdavros, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ukdavros

ukdavros
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys
    I am still looking at multi room Audio and Video.

I have already got High grade Coax in each room it was already there when we moved in.
    This gives me a couple of options.
    Sending everything by RF which means I can use a different channel for each source. However As I need to use flat panels which dont have a tuner I guess this cant be done.

Option 2
    Sending signals by composite which means I would need a Matrix switcher.
    Is this just a case of connecting a Scart connecter to the coax at each viewing point(Zone) or is there more to it. (ie when using Coax to transmit Composite how do you connect it to the Monitor, is there a converter needed or like I said you just solder your Scart connector on the End)

Whats the quality differrance like between RF and Composite.

As I have the Coax already I might as well make use of it.

As I am installing Cbus they use RF to distibute the Signals.

However Elan use a Matrix switch for Coax which can send Composite or Component signals.

I then also have to think of Multi room Audio to go with it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in Advance
    Mark

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi Mark,

You should be able to use the installed Coax to pass your composite video signal although as you imply this would be without any audio portion at all. Finding the connectors might be a little harder but it should be worth it.

The quality difference between RF and Composite is quite big although in my experience it is also down to the quality of the cable at rejecting interferance and the actual quality of the video input cards on your panels.

RF just refers to the fact you are using a Radio Frequency to carry the signal, most of them sit in different frequency zones so you intereferance should be low. However I would not hold you breath for the Cbus RF solution. It has only just been launched here in the UK and I asked the Product Managers last week when it would be available and they did not know.

I should know more later this week.

PS we have a budget 6x6 and 3x3 Nexus launching at London Home Building & Renovating Show ;)

Chris

3. ukdavros

ukdavros
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    So how does everybody else do it, what is the way to go.
    To Recap I already have Coax in every room(good stuff)
    I have a Node 0 where all my sources will go. which includes
    2 Sky Boxes
    2 CD Jukeboxes
    2 DVD Juke Boxes
    PC (MP3 etc)
    Laser disk player will have to stay in the lounge

So I will also have some remote stuff such as the Laser disk player, Laser disk Jukebox, Wurlitzer juke box

I would like to view and listen to these in most rooms using mainly Flat panels, I already have the plasma in the lounge.

I was looking at the Elan S21 but they wont sell me the gear, Has to be installed by a dealer it seems.

Thanks
    Mark

4. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I thought that I'd resurrect this thread because I have the same problem. A few years ago I installed decent coax cabling to most of the rooms in my house to enable various sources (Sky, TiVo, Sky+) to be watched around the house (using remote control extenders to enable control of the source devices from the remote rooms).

This works well but I'd prefer to be able to send a higher quality video and audio signal to the other rooms. I'm not talking about HDTV (although that would be nice) and I don't mind limiting the choice of channels to just one. I'm after an s-video or RGB quality signal rather than a composite/RF quality. Coax seems capable of carrying a high enough bandwidth because it can cope with high capacity broadband or digital satellite signals, but I was wondering if there were any products that enabled me to use that capacity (preferably digitally).

Does anyone know of any products that convert an RGB signal into a form whereby it can be transmitted down a coax cable and reconverted into RGB at the other end?

I've tried wireless video senders but couldn't find one that sent an RGB signal and had interference problems anyway.

Cheers,
    Ian