Multi-room Tv - advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by adeking, Jun 14, 2015.

1. adeking

adeking
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am purchasing a new build property. It will mean I will be purchasing a few new TV systems and am looking for some advice on how best to set them up.

The house does not come with an installed TV arial and I would prefer to do without one really. I currently have Sky and know they offer a multiroom service, but this requires additional sky boxes and as wondering if the technology had moved on....

I am hoping for some wireless based solution - I will probably have sky in the main room and just use the built-in freeview in the other TV's.

Thanks,

Adrian

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Forget about wireless for anything involving Video distribution - it's not reliable.

At a push you can use wireless where you have networked TV's or Networked streamers connected directly to each TV - though given the option it is always best to hardwire these devices.

You can distribute SKY and other 'centralised' HD sources to multiple Zones over a single CAT6 cable (one per Zone) using an HDMI over HDBT Matrix.

If you want the ability to view different SKY channels simultaneously in multiple Zones you will require more than one SKY box.

Managing Audio and how you wish to control the system have to be factored into the Design.

3 or 4 x CAT6 plus a Coax to each Zone is a good starting point.

Joe

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I would always recommend an aerial as having freeview as a backup is always a good idea. Especially as you stated

"I will probably have sky in the main room and just use the built-in freeview in the other TV's."

You would need an aerial for this and a coax backbone but as Joe says also run a couple of Cat6 cables as that opens up your options later.

Wireless is much overrated and promoted where a cabled solution will always be better