Multi Room System - Help!!

Dalvosaber

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to have a multi room system in my house.

I want to have in-ceiling speakers in the following places:

1) Kitchen
2) Hall
3) Bedroom 1
4) Bedroom 2

What equipment do I need for the system to work?

Thanks

You haven't really said what you want!

Do you already have a music source?

If so, do you mean that you want the music from your current sound system to come out of speakers in the kitchen, hall and bedrooms all at the same time?

Do you just want 2 speakers in each room?

Also an idea of budget would help.

There are simple but effective systems with simple push button control and no feedback, for £2000 depending on the install (retro fit / new build / making good)

Through to high end systems running into the £20/30/40/50/75/100K brackets depending on the amount of control and feed back you want and the type of keypad, LED Text, Touch Screen, Portable web tablet thingies.

V.

You haven't really said what you want!

Do you already have a music source?

If so, do you mean that you want the music from your current sound system to come out of speakers in the kitchen, hall and bedrooms all at the same time?

Do you just want 2 speakers in each room?

Also an idea of budget would help.

There are simple but effective systems with simple push button control and no feedback, for £2000 depending on the install (retro fit / new build / making good)

Through to high end systems running into the £20/30/40/50/75/100K brackets depending on the amount of control and feed back you want and the type of keypad, LED Text, Touch Screen, Portable web tablet thingies.

V.

Hi,

Thanks for both of your replies.

I currently do not have a music source - I am hoping for a cd player or a multi changer with an Ipod feature in it. I want to be able to select a individual speaker to play music through it or select all speakers to play music through them.

My ideal situation is to have music played and for me to control which speakers it comes out of. Then in each room the speaker is in, the ability to control the sound/volume etc

Can this be done?

I currently do not have a music source - I am hoping for a cd player or a multi changer with an Ipod feature in it. I want to be able to select a individual speaker to play music through it or select all speakers to play music through them.

My ideal situation is to have music played and for me to control which speakers it comes out of. Then in each room the speaker is in, the ability to control the sound/volume etc

Can this be done?

A good starting point is to look at Sonos, in particular the ZP100. It has an integral amp for £100 more than the ZP80.

Again, without a budget it is difficult too know what else to suggest. The Sonos gear is wireless which saves a bit of money on some of the redecorating after burying cables in all your walls, but you will still have to route the speaker cable to the in-ceiling speakers in each room!

Hope that helps

A good starting point is to look at Sonos, in particular the ZP100. It has an integral amp for £100 more than the ZP80.

Again, without a budget it is difficult too know what else to suggest. The Sonos gear is wireless which saves a bit of money on some of the redecorating after burying cables in all your walls, but you will still have to route the speaker cable to the in-ceiling speakers in each room!

Hope that helps

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

If I use one of the Sonos ZP100, then does that mean I only need one of them for all 4 speakers to function correctly? Also would I be able to control all 4 speakers from one sonos controller?

Thanks

The ZP100 controls a stereo pair of speakers. You need a ZP100 for each pair of speakers (usually one pair per room).

The controller is fairly configurable but I would suggest you try and get a demo. The Sonos boys do demos at quite a few shows around the country. There are other options as well but first try and think about how you are going to use it.

Your system is complicated by the in-ceiling speakers. You still need an amplifier to drive them. If you have an Amp for each pair of speakers in each room then you can use those to control the volume (or turn it off).

The ZP100 controls a stereo pair of speakers. You need a ZP100 for each pair of speakers (usually one pair per room).

The controller is fairly configurable but I would suggest you try and get a demo. The Sonos boys do demos at quite a few shows around the country. There are other options as well but first try and think about how you are going to use it.

Your system is complicated by the in-ceiling speakers. You still need an amplifier to drive them. If you have an Amp for each pair of speakers in each room then you can use those to control the volume (or turn it off).

I thought the sonos has an amp in it? If I have one speaker in the kitchen and one in the hallway (they are very close together), then I would only need one ZP100? and if I was going to control another pair of speakers, then another ZP100 could be used?

So basically, I would need two ZP100's? The speakers are wired back to a rack in my AV room, is that all there is too it or am I under estimating the work I need to do?

You can go even simpler than that if you want!

If you do what you suggest though, you don't need a Sonos at all. I suggested it because it has an OK control system, supports routing to multiple points and is WIRELESS.

If you are willing to run cables then forget it.

You also suggest splitting the stereo pair of speakers between rooms. You will completely loose the stereo effect. This won't affect all music but I have several tracks that would sound pants like that (but it is do-able).

You also said you want the volume variable in each room, from that room. You now suggest you want them all the same and set from the AV room.

Decide what you actually want and what is your BUDGET.

I can get music in your 4 rooms with 4 of these and any amplifier but I'm not sure that you would be satisfied with the result.

So just to confirm.

You want to set a single source playing in a central location and then in each room control the zone (on/off) and actual volume.

You (currently) don't want to be able to have different things playing in different rooms at the same time? Although the cost of doing this is not that much more than the first option.

Either of these options would cost between between £1000 and £1500 respectively for hardware.

V.

So just to confirm.

You want to set a single source playing in a central location and then in each room control the zone (on/off) and actual volume.

You (currently) don't want to be able to have different things playing in different rooms at the same time? Although the cost of doing this is not that much more than the first option.

Either of these options would cost between between £1000 and £1500 respectively for hardware.

V.

You can go even simpler than that if you want!

If you do what you suggest though, you don't need a Sonos at all. I suggested it because it has an OK control system, supports routing to multiple points and is WIRELESS.

If you are willing to run cables then forget it.

You also suggest splitting the stereo pair of speakers between rooms. You will completely loose the stereo effect. This won't affect all music but I have several tracks that would sound pants like that (but it is do-able).

You also said you want the volume variable in each room, from that room. You now suggest you want them all the same and set from the AV room.

Decide what you actually want and what is your BUDGET.

I can get music in your 4 rooms with 4 of these and any amplifier but I'm not sure that you would be satisfied with the result.
Ok lets start from the beginning .........

I have four speakers which will be wired to my rack where my media equipment is kept. I want the ability to play music from my CD player/Computer to any one of the speakers. I want to have one remote to be able to control any one of the speakers in regards to sounds and what is played on each speaker.

Would the Sonos be good for this?

Thanks for helping me so far, appreciate it!!

Ok lets start from the beginning .........

I have four speakers which will be wired to my rack where my media equipment is kept. I want the ability to play music from my CD player/Computer to any one of the speakers. I want to have one remote to be able to control any one of the speakers in regards to sounds and what is played on each speaker.

Would the Sonos be good for this?

Thanks for helping me so far, appreciate it!!

Sonos can do what you ask. You would need 4 ZP100s though which seems overkill.

Points to consider:
Music is stereo but you are trying to use one speaker per room.
You need an Amp or ZP100 for each "zone" that you want independant volume control of.
You need a source or ZP100 for each "zone" that you want different music played in. (eg different song in kitchen and bedroom)
You want "remote" control of all this - if "remote" means not in the AV room then you will need some form of wireless controller.
You do not seem at all technical so it would be best (if you can afford it) to buy a "Sonos like" system. It is not the cheapest thing to do but building your own system (like mine:)) is simply too complicated for Joe Public. (complicated to put together AND sometimes too complicated to operate - especially for the missus! :()

Hopefully you are beginning to see what you want to end up with.

I have four speakers

Are these single speakers or stereo pairs (as two boxes or one box with two speakers)? As GadgetCity says Singles will have a detrimental effect on the quality in each room.

which will be wired to my rack where my media equipment is kept. I want the ability to play music from my CD player/Computer to any one of the speakers.

So is this CD or computer or CD and computer and is it the only thing (source) that will play to the speakers?

I want to have one remote to be able to control any one of the speakers in regards to sounds and what is played on each speaker.

Controlling the zone (on/off) and volume is easy enough, even controlling the CD player, it would be controlling the PC I am concerned with, how are you going to see what you are doing when you are in a different room. ?

Would the Sonos be good for this

It would, but depending on your answers above it could be an expensive route to go.

Sorry for the returned questions but it will help us recommend stuff and budgets.

V.

Are these single speakers or stereo pairs (as two boxes or one box with two speakers)? As GadgetCity says Singles will have a detrimental effect on the quality in each room.

So is this CD or computer or CD and computer and is it the only thing (source) that will play to the speakers?

Controlling the zone (on/off) and volume is easy enough, even controlling the CD player, it would be controlling the PC I am concerned with, how are you going to see what you are doing when you are in a different room. ?

It would, but depending on your answers above it could be an expensive route to go.

Sorry for the returned questions but it will help us recommend stuff and budgets.

V.

Hi,
They are pairs - as the kitchen and hall way are right next to each other, one pair will be in those rooms. The other pair will be in the other room.

Just to be basic for now, I will say just the ability to play CDs.

I would like to control the music played by one remote control which can control what is played in any of the speakers.

Budget wise - £500- £2000

Thanks

Sonos can do what you ask. You would need 4 ZP100s though which seems overkill.

Points to consider:
Music is stereo but you are trying to use one speaker per room.
You need an Amp or ZP100 for each "zone" that you want independant volume control of.
You need a source or ZP100 for each "zone" that you want different music played in. (eg different song in kitchen and bedroom)
You want "remote" control of all this - if "remote" means not in the AV room then you will need some form of wireless controller.
You do not seem at all technical so it would be best (if you can afford it) to buy a "Sonos like" system. It is not the cheapest thing to do but building your own system (like mine:)) is simply too complicated for Joe Public. (complicated to put together AND sometimes too complicated to operate - especially for the missus! :()

Hopefully you are beginning to see what you want to end up with.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The Sonos ZP100 - can I just buy two and connect one pair to the first ZP100, and the other pair to the second ZP100?

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The Sonos ZP100 - can I just buy two and connect one pair to the first ZP100, and the other pair to the second ZP100?

You would need at least one controller as well, and the charging cradle is a worthwhile addition for £30.

If you do go the Sonos way then the CD player is a bit superfluous - connecting one of the ZP100's to your computer network makes ALL your music available as well as internet radio and also allows you to select songs by title on the controller. The CD player will also work of course but you would have no control over playback like you do via PC sourced material.

:smashin:

You would need at least one controller as well, and the charging cradle is a worthwhile addition for £30.

If you do go the Sonos way then the CD player is a bit superfluous - connecting one of the ZP100's to your computer network makes ALL your music available as well as internet radio and also allows you to select songs by title on the controller. The CD player will also work of course but you would have no control over playback like you do via PC sourced material.

:smashin:

Thanks for that. Could you just sumarise the equipment I need and how many I need of each item for the Sonos system?

Thank You

Thanks for that. Could you just sumarise the equipment I need and how many I need of each item for the Sonos system?

Thank You

I'm no expert on Sonos but SimplySonos sell the stuff and they have FREE pre-sales and post-sales telephone support.

I would rather you get them to confirm what you need as I would hate to have you spend money based on what I say and it turns out to be wrong advice. I would also highly recommend getting a demo of the stuff. I found it simple to use and the sales guys weren't pushy but you might not like it.

Assuming you already have a router that you can plug one of the ZP100s in to then I think you would need...

2 x ZP100
1 x Controller
1 x charging cradle (optional)

Speakers
Speaker cable

polyfiller?
paint?
or whatever for the install/redecoration if needed.

I believe that you can actually put the second ZP100 anywhere you like as it wirelessly connects to the first one. This might make wiring up the second pair of speakers easier. Again, SimplySonos shoudl be able to confirm that.

Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom