multi room speakers from one amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by benhur999, Mar 9, 2013.

1. benhur999

benhur999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK here is what im looking at..

Im planning on rebuilding my cinema after a flood.
    Its run by a media PC/MAC Dont know which yet, into an amp. will probably be an ONKYO as my last amp was fantastic.

However, i would like to have the ability to feed the cinema room but also send into the kitchen, hall and living room, so when we have parties etc the whole house can be filled from one source. ive got the speakers from older amp systems

but i would also like for the majority of time to be able to switch to only have sound in the cinema?

i know you can buy media servers and servers etc Russound is fantastic but a bit too expensive for me...

any ideas how i can achieve this on the cheap or is it one amp per room?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    There is no such thing as multi-room on the cheap. The multi-zone feature is only found on more expensive AV Receivers and you're usually limited to 2 or 3 zones and often you will need external amplification. You are also limited to analogue (phono) sources and their built-in network facilities.

Sonos do speaker systems with built-in amplification as well as non amplified ZP models.

If any of the rooms are adjacent, one amp could amplify both rooms providing it has speaker A+B output. That is what I have done in a bathroom/bedroom setup with the amp in a wardrobe. My source is Squeezebox.

A cheap solution could be found if you go for second hand stereo amps and second hand Sonos / Squeezebox players. Also if you're not bothered about choosing different music in different zones, the Apple solutions e.g. Airport Express could work but I'm not sure about synchronisation.

There is a lengthy thread on multiroom in the music streamers forum:

Streamers & Network Music Players | AVForums.com - UK Online