1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi room speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Docta teef, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ive run some speaker cable from my cinema room to the games room next door with a view to using a spare amp for multi room. I labled the cable so i would know left form right but have just noticed that the cable itself has no marking so i dont know which terminals to connect to any ideas as how to test this as the leads on my mains tester wont reach 30 ft.

2. Gerard Fernand

Gerard Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Surprised that there is no markings on the cable. Sometimes fig.8 speaker cable do not have text or line markings but instead have a single or number of ridges running down one core.

If there are no markings at all, twist one core from the left cable to one core on the right cable to create a single run. Either at the amp end or the room end. Depending on the length of the cables at the room end or the length of your tester leads you may need to extend one of the cable to make it reach.

Set your tester to "continuity" or "ohms" and identify which cores are connected. Mark these cores as "+" and the remaining cores as "-".

Hope this helps.

3. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Its just cheap stuff from BnQ and doesnt appear to have anything on it. If i make a single run wont the mains tester just bell out anyway as its sure to create a circuit. Cheers though anyway.

4. olliemac

olliemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a tricky situation to be in. Try getting a normal AAbattery, put a speaker on the end of the cable as normal and touch the other ends of the cable to the positive and neg. on the battery a few times as though your hot wiring a car. If the speaker pops, ie, the cone pushes outwards (in-phase), well then you have found your pos. and neg. cables. If you hear a dull sound, the cone is sucking in (out of phase) and you know your the wrong way around. Have a go and let me know what happens.

5. Gerard Fernand

Gerard Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yes.

But you are making a single run using one core from one cable and one core from the other thus allowing positive identification of these cores.

After joining the two cores from the different cables together, say at the amp end. Go to the room end where you will have 2 cables each with 2 cores.

Connect your meter to one of the cores of the left cable. Now connect the other end of your meter to one of the cores of the right cable. You may be lucky and get the correct cores first time, if not try other permetations of cores untill you create a circuit (there are only 4 possibilities).

Once you have identified the correct cores, which make a circuit, at the room end mark them as "+". Seperate the cores at the amp end and also mark them as "+".

The remaining core ends on each speaker cable should be marked as negative.

You will now have two speaker cables both with "+" and "-" cores marked, ready to connect to your speaker and amps "+" and "-" terminals.