Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Multi-Room:- Sky+ with TIVO with HTPC Multi Room Strategy help needed.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mark Ward, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    First off I need to say I have no experience what so ever of Tivo, Sky+ OR Kat5tv.

This is complex but here goes..

I need help with a Kat5TV solution strategy.

Scenario:- Living Room & HT Room are a long way apart with study halfway between the 2.

Rooms Laid Out as follows:-
    HT > Snooker Room > Rear Hall > Study > Rear Hall > Front Hall > Living Room.

I want to be able to have Sky+ output viewable/controllable in both rooms (and also other rooms if at all possible).

To add to the complexity, I also wish to connect a Network enabled Tivo to Sky+ so that I can import saved TV shows into a PC on the network for editing/archiving to DVD.

HTPC in HT Room Rack has a nearby phone socket and is already Cat5 networked to another Computer in the study. A 2nd Network cable also runs between the HT Room Rack and the Study ready for Kat5TV use. The study is located fairly centrally in the house and from here it will be easy to run cables to living room and all bedrooms.

The Aerial on the roof is at the Living Room side of the house and runs to 8 points around the house via a Labgear MSA282 including a very long run to the HT Room Rack using the single "Full" higher gain output. I don't see Aerial being a solution to the distribution to the living room but could potentially serve the bedrooms and possibly the "magic eye" IR I've read about.

For operation/playback purposes I figured it would be easiest to connect both Tivo & Sky+ to inputs on my Lexicon MC-1 and connect the Kat5 transmitter unit to the S-Video out on the MC-1, though I'm not sure how I could also connect MC-1 S-Video out to HTPC for TIVO/SKY CRT PJ playback via D-Scaler.

I'm not sure how clear I've made this but can anyone understand it who may have some connection strategy ideas for me?

Thanks for any guidance,

Mark.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    MArk I point you to your local CEDIA members one of whom John Luff i have met ( very nice chap) and to Channels plus S-video distribution 2000' and 8 rooms!!!! Connect your DVD SKY+ etc all over the house using common cat 5 for sound (stereo look at QED Systemline modular cat stereo signal to 6 rooms!!!

PM me if you want more info!!!

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that, the solution I've come up with is fairly similar. Kat5TV around the house with Pyramid IR extnders for the remote control solution:)

Cheers,

Mark.