• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Multi room setup

deacs09

Standard Member
hi,

I am about to move to a larger house which has a living room, kitchen diner and seperate living room which I plan to use as a games room.
What I am after is a surround sound setup in the living room as this is where we will watch films and spend most of our time.
I also have a large TV for the games too which I want connected to decent speakers but the main thing I want for this room is for the speakers to play music rather than have surround sound etc. I would say that a sub is needed for quality sound in this room too unless I'm told otherwise.

Then I also want some speakers in the kitchen/diner that are also connected to the Tv but again can be used to play music

We like to have parties and friends over so ideally I would like this whole setup to be able to stream music and all be connected to the same app so that the music carries throughout the whole house. Playing different music in each room is not a necessity but would be a good option.

I would also like to possibly add rooms onto this like the bedrooms and maybe bathroom but again, this is not really a problem if I just have standalone speakers on these rooms

I have 3 options in my head but completely different suggestions are of course welcomed.

Option 1 -

Sonos soundbar and sub in the living room
Sonos play 5 in the games room and maybe some play 1's or 3's in the kitchen

Option 2 -
Buy a standard LG or Samsung off the shelf surround sound for living room and use a Sonos connect to link it up

Similar amp and speaker setup in the games room but maybe using a Sonos amp

Standalone Sonos speakers in the kitchen diner

Then add individual Sonos speakers through the house as I want to build the system.

Option 3 -

Single amp in the study with a switch which would allow multiple speakers through out the house manually switched on or off then have the standard surround sound in the lounge.
I just don't know how the TV in the lounge connects to this setup.

My budget is fairly limited in comparison to some of the big spenders on here but I am willing to build it over several months of need be to get the right setup.

Thanks for any help

sounddog

To my mind, your requirements are perfected suited to Sonos system.

I'm assuming that there are no existing cabling or in-wall / in-ceiling speakers installed? If that is the case (nothing already) then I would scratch Option 3 immediately.

As I see it, the main decision is if you want a full surround system in the Living Room, or if the sound bar will suit you. Personally I would go for the surround system but you need to try to get a listen / demo to both options to make your own mind up. If you were to go for surround, I would go for something like Yamaha RXV379 & Wharfedale DX1 package for around £440 from Richer Sounds (though even better would be something like Richer Sounds package of Denon AVRX2200W & Q Acousics 2000i package but thats almost double at £770) and add a cheap DVD player rather than a LG or Samsung type "Home Theatre in a Box" as it offers much more versatility; but again you should pays your money for what you personally find best for you.

As an alternative to Sonos: Denon, Yamaha and BlueSound offer similar systems which might be of interest.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom