Multi-room recommendations

alexktz

Novice Member
I've recently moved into a new house and it has a large open plan lounge / kitchen area. I'd like to create a seamless audio/video experience between the two rooms but am unsure how to proceed - I think the best place to start is figuring out the Amp/AVR situation.

I own some equipment for the proposed setup already but need to buy a decent amount of new stuff:

• Lounge
    • 65" LED TV - LG OLED CX
    • Kef Floorstanding Speakers (stereo pair)
    • An old Yamaha stereo amp (looking to replace with this threads recommendation)
  • Kitchen
    • 55" LED TV - TCL Roku TV
    • Soundbar connected via ARC
Each of the rooms is visually disconnected but sonically it's pretty much impossible to have two separate audio streams going at the same without interfering with each other. That said, it would be nice to be able treat each zone as an independent system (video and audio) but be able to flip a switch and have everything be the same in both areas.

I think this means I'll need to purchase some speakers for the kitchen at a minimum. I tried using the existing soundbar via a long HDMI cable and a splitter and the processing delays on the soundbar meant audio was more than 300ms out of sync between the two systems - no beuno. I'm wondering what the best way to handle the various signals is? As I see it there a few options...

1. Have two amps and two sets of passive speakers in each room. Connect them using HDMI audio out. This should permit in sync audio and turning on a zone is as simple as turning on an amp or TV.
2. Use my existing kitchen soundbar and figure out how to get the processing time lower. I just noticed an aux input, maybe that will do the trick?
3. A central AVR doing things for both rooms - how will the usability be of this solution though? I don't want complex. I want at most TV on, sound on button presses, ideally just one and automations via Home Assistant.

rccarguy2

I use squeezebox in each room, with separate av amp or stereo system, so each one is separate from the other, or I can sync each one. I don't need something in the other room to be on.

That works well, but another method would be multi channel Poweramp or a av amp that does multiple zones. Or wall mounted touch panel.

There's also Dante, which is audio over network cable I believe.

Sonos is good, however it's expensive, and the track limit is deal breaker for me.

rccarguy2

What about video? Sonos is audio first isn't it?

Yes it is. Personally I don't think of all in one video/audio unit. I'd rather have separate components.

For the pride of Kodi boxes at £50 and squeezebox at £50....that seems better value than alternatives. Just depends on design plans.

Also have issue of long hdmi cables or have to do HDMI over Ethernet...which isn't be bothered about.

alexktz

Novice Member
Yes it is. Personally I don't think of all in one video/audio unit. I'd rather have separate components.

For the pride of Kodi boxes at £50 and squeezebox at £50....that seems better value than alternatives. Just depends on design plans.

Also have issue of long hdmi cables or have to do HDMI over Ethernet...which isn't be bothered about.
I can run ethernet very easily, the distance is about 25m.

Also the ability to play the same content on both displays is important.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom