Multi-room PLUS TV Link ???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dmw, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sky+ downstairs and ordinary sky upstairs - standard multi-room installation. Sometimes though I will want to be able to play back recorded material on the sky+ box but watch it upstairs. That means adding a TV Link or "Magic Eye".

I enquired but was told this is not possible ... you can't have two separate sky feeds into the same TV.

Is this right? Has anybody done it? How would you wire it up? Would you need to retune the RF out of the sky+ say so that the two feeds were on different channels?

HELP!

:confused:

2. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your upstairs tv have a SCART socket?

I'll assume it does, All you need to do is connect the sky box upstairs to the TV as normal. Then run a COAX cable from your sky plus RF2 output to the Aerial in on the upstairs TV. You will also need a TV link for the upstairs TV and another Sky + remote.

I hope this answers your question.

3. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. It does in part. The only bit I'm not clear about is whether there may be a clash if both the "direct" sky D and the remote feed from the plus box are coming in to the one TV tuned to the same channel (68?). Do I need to retune one of the sky boxes? Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

4. dlovell

dlovell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I faced the same problem. It is easy to fix though. I went the whole hog and got an 8 way SLX loft amp / distribution box too with F plug connectors all round and distribute both the Sky PLUS and the Bedroom Digibox signals to all TVs around the house. I have a second SKY PLUS remote in the bedroom to control the SKY PLUS in the lounge via a magic eye but also have magic eyes and standard sky remotes in all the other rooms (kitchen, play room etc) that control the bedroom digibox only (although they can aslo tune to the SKY PLUS signal but just not control it - I have to walk to the lounge or Bedroom and use the remote their). I believe you can also get a gadget that will filter out the signals for both Sky and Sky PLus remotes going through the SAME magic eye and then redirect the contro to the appropriate box. I'm not sure how this works with the SLX loft distributor.....that's another project !

If you want to keep it simple and not use the loft amp route then either :

1. Connect Bedroom Digibox to Bed TV via SCART only then plug the RF2 output from the SKY PLUS in the loungevia coax and in to the TV 'aerial in' socket in the bedroom (with a magic eye in line and a spare sky PLUS remote for the bedroom). Tune the bed TV to the std SKY PLUS RF output channel. Watch the Bed digibox using your AV INput select on the TV and the SKY Plus via whatever channel you tuned it to (69 ?)

2. If you don't have scart for the bed tv then plug the RF2 output from the SKY PLUS in to the Aerial IN on the bed Digibox (with magic eye in line). Change the bed digibox RF output channel in the System Menu to something other than the default that probably both the PLUS and Bed digibox are using (69?). I think I set mine to 55 or something - there are rules around separating channels by 5 or 9 channel spaces - see Satcure website for all the info you'll ever need ! Then just tune your bed TV station 7 to 55 and Station 8 to 69....or whatever you find works.

Had it working like this for months without problems. Means we can leave the lounge SKY + to finish recording the film at night when we are too tired and pick up watching the rest of it from bed in the morning !

Dave.

5. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113

thats awesome dave! have a similar setup here. basically aerial in the loft goes down the cavity into the lounge, into the sky+ box. then RF1 goes into the cinema setup picking up all the signals (dvd & vcr) before getting to the tv. RF2 on the other hand goes back to the plate in the wall (double tv aerial plate) and up the cavity by a second co-ax to the loft (a long haul but worth it!) then into a 6 way amp which then sends out normal tv and sky+ to all the rooms in the house (all bedrooms & kitchen) only the lounge can control it though.

the second sky box is in my parents room. and on channel 5 is sky+ which they can watch too. but as mentioned, cannot control unless go to lounge.

RF2 on the 2nd box goes down to the dining room and has a magic eye. this is more or less a second lounge. as if someones watching a dvd or recording on sky+ in the lounge, the sky box can be accessed from the dining room and controlled from there. which is handy. only prob is when its late and theres a 2 remote fight :D :laugh:

its good. its handy and you don't see any cables as they're all in the walls.

go for it DMW, its so good watching sky channels in the kitchen whilst having dinner!

jammy

6. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dave and Jammy

Happy New Year!

7. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there different types of aerial sockets you can get? Do some block the DC power feed from the skybox. Is it easy to pick up ones which are compatible with tv link

8. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there different types of aerial sockets you can get? Do some block the DC power feed from the skybox. Is it easy to pick up ones which are compatible with tv link