1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi room option with denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by brendank, Dec 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again guys

after changing from passive to active speakers,i now have 2 spare sets of speakers which i would like to hook up via the multi room option on the denon 3802.

After reading the manual i am somewhat confused:confused: once again.!! Before reading the manual i assumed that the "Zone 2" speakers would simply plug into an auxilliary set of speaker connects on the 3802's backplane.

As I am looking at the manual, it looks like the recommended method is daisy-chaining another amplifier to which the zone 2 speakers would be connected. Ccan somebody explain what is meant by daisy chaining?

However, the manual wording definitely states that if the Zone 2 PREOUT connectors are connected to an external amplifier???(do i need another amp?) that different sources can be played simultaneously to the two different zones. If this is true can the 3802 be the "master" so I don't have to worry about which amp/receiver is in control?

The manual does *not* state whether or not this is true when the surround back speakers are assigned to Zone 2, hence using the surround back amplifier.

So, my question is , can different sources be played simultaneously on the Denon 3802 on the main zone surround speakers (w/o the surround back) and the zone 2 assigned surround-back speakers.

i trust this someone more experienced than me has already undertook this project and figured it out. i would appreciate any input/clarification you could offer on this subject.

thanks and seasons greetings to all

:confused: :confused:

2. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anybody??

:confused: :confused:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi Brendan,
    I have never used zone 2 on my 3802 but the way I see it is this:

the 3802 can either be a 7.1 receiver OR a 5.1 receiver with a zone 2 option. As I see it its either/or but not both.
    The 3802 does have 7 amps so zone 2 does not need an additional stereo amp to drive the speakers, but with the preouts that is an option.

Mark.

4. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi again Mark,

it is certainly puzzling:confused: :confused:

yeah i think what your saying makes more sense than the manual. So for reference purposes can we clarify that
    if you want to keep the main room as 7.1 you have to get another amp to power the two speakers in the second room and use the multi room option on the preouts.

If you are using a 5.1 system in your main room, you dont need another amp to power the two speakers in the second room, you use the multi room option on the binding posts

now, for the tricky part, if however you are using active and passive speakers in the same set up in the main room then there are spare amps. i have active front and rear speakers connected to the preouts can these spare amps now be used to power the passive speakers inn the second room without having to get a second amp.

Thanks Again

:confused:

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you have a 7.1 setup then you loose the option of zone 2 on the 3802. It's 7.1 or zone 2 wheather useing preouts or internal amps. Whatever signal is sent to the amp for that speaker is exactly the same as is sent to the preout.

Yes!

No! the amps are not reassignable other than the surround rears.
    You also cannot use an external amp for zone 2 driven from the 3802 with 7.1 so would need a CD player connected to the stereo amp in the other room to be able to play CD's etc.

As I said earlier, all the above statements are just my understanding of the features of the 3802 as I have no experience of zone 2. I will therefore happily stand corrected if I am wrong!

Mark.

6. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi mark,

thanks again for your helpful replies, however i think we may have got it wrong with the preout option and the second amplifier part.

i just found this reply to pretty much the same question on an american denon site

B]5.1 Receiver and Zone 2 using 3803's built in amp:[/B

Connections - Connect the "zone 2" pair of speakers to the speaker terminals marked Surr. Back/Zone 2 on the rear of the 3803.

In Setup - At the System Setup Menu, select "Zone 2 Control" and press enter. The 'Zone2 Control "screen appears, Select "Power Amp Assignment" and press enter. Select "Zone 2" to use the 3803 built in amps for Zone 2.

NOTES: Volume for Zone 2 speakers is controlled by 3803 Zone 2 Volume Control. DVD, CD etc input sources can only be heard on Zone 2, if there are analog audio connections between the input and the 3803

[]
    Connections - Connect the "zone 2" pre-amp outputs on the rear of the 3803 to the inputs of your external power amp or the aux input of an external integrated amp or receiver.

Connect the "zone 2" pair of speakers to the speaker terminals of the external power amp, integrated amp or receiver.

In Setup - At the System Setup Menu, select "Zone 2 Control" and press enter. The 'Zone2 Control "screen appears, Select "Power Amp Assignment" and press enter. Select "Surround Back" to use the 3803 built in amps for Surround Back speakers.

At the System Setup Menu, select "Zone 2 Control" and press enter. The 'Zone2 Control "screen appears, Select "Zone2 Vol. Level" and press enter.

You have 3 choices(Volume control) Variable, -40dB or 0 dB. If you want to send a signal to the external amp that can be controlled by the 3803 Zone 2 Volume control select "Variable". If you want to send a fixed pre-amp signal to the external amp select "-40dB" or "0 dB", you may need to play with this setting to determine the best output level to send to your particular external amp or receiver.

N.B all of the above has been cut and pasted from the other site

Mark a pretty comprehensive response to the query i think i know the author is referring to the 3803 but i presume the same would apply to the 3802

i think however that there is no Zone 2 'off' switch in 3802 model, so the only option is to turn the volume all the way down to turn it off. They fixed this in the 3803.
    ;)