Multi-Room No Phoneline Upstairs

Matt.Seymour

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I currently have Sky+, and am due to receive Skyhd on Tuesday.
I have paid to have my Sky+ box relocated upstairs, and taken out a Multi-Room subscription, however, i do not have a phoneline upstairs.My question is this- Will the engineer run a cable downstairs? Or will i the engineer refuse to install?
Thanks.

Hi
I currently have Sky+, and am due to receive Skyhd on Tuesday.
I have paid to have my Sky+ box relocated upstairs, and taken out a Multi-Room subscription, however, i do not have a phoneline upstairs.My question is this- Will the engineer run a cable downstairs? Or will i the engineer refuse to install?
Thanks.

He'll run a cable for you from the nearest phone point.

Even if the phoneline is a considerable distance?
In my case, down a flight of stairs, and through two rooms?

Even if the phoneline is a considerable distance?
In my case, down a flight of stairs, and through two rooms?

Yep, based on my experience when I had the same done, going from rear ground floor to front first floor. He'll tack the extension cable around the skirting boards but not drill through any walls. It may not look the neatest though :thumbsdow so you may end up re-doing the job yourself or finding a wireless solution.

Yep, based on my experience when I had the same done, going from rear ground floor to front first floor. He'll tack the extension cable around the skirting boards but not drill through any walls. It may not look the neatest though :thumbsdow so you may end up re-doing the job yourself or finding a wireless solution.

For my multiroom, my installer just ran a length of cable upstairs and did the updates via the dial up. I said i would tack it down myself after he left. When he left i gathered up the cable, threw it into a carrier bag and chucked it into the cupboard. Never heard nothing from sky telling me to connect it.

For my multiroom, my installer just ran a length of cable upstairs and did the updates via the dial up. I said i would tack it down myself after he left. When he left i gathered up the cable, threw it into a carrier bag and chucked it into the cupboard. Never heard nothing from sky telling me to connect it.

Same here. Couple of years now on multiroom with no phone connection without hearing from sky.

Got a similar issue with my install(due on Monday).

My phone socket is in the dining room, along with my PC.
SKyHD is going in the living room to replace my standard Sky box, which in turn is going into one of the upstairs bedrooms.
There is gonna be a hell of a lot cable to route, think I might have a look Monday morning and see if it will be easier to take the cabling outside then back in at the required points :)

Bry.

very much doubt it after 2 years!

In 3 years never had Sky+ connected to a phone line, no hassle.

Got HD today, Sky+ went upstairs and he also just left a length coiled up for me to route around the room. It's in the loft now in a box of other odds'n'sods cables :D

Last edited:
Bry the engineer will do it for you.

And trust me on the multi-room phonelines, you will get found out sooner or later and face either a fine or paying double subs. It is safer to keep both boxes plugged into. The one service call I hate getting is to run phone extensions because they have been ripped out.

Thing is, am i right in assuming that the "Anytime" feature, will not work, if Sky+ is not connected to an active phoneline?

Officially if your installation requires over x metres of phone cable or x metres of sat coax you have to pay more. But in reality I think they will run an almost infinite amount of cable as part of the standard installation.

I was able to get a second dish put up even though it was illegal to have 2 dishes on your house where I live :D. I think it is legal now, but I best not ring the planning office and ask.

Anytime works without a phoneline AFAIK, but don't take that as gospel.

Thing is, am i right in assuming that the "Anytime" feature, will not work, if Sky+ is not connected to an active phoneline?

no. anytime is nothing to do with the phone line.

Bry the engineer will do it for you.

And trust me on the multi-room phonelines, you will get found out sooner or later and face either a fine or paying double subs. It is safer to keep both boxes plugged into. The one service call I hate getting is to run phone extensions because they have been ripped out.

I don't think sky can 'fine' anyone :)

I know people have been told told by Sky to connect their multiroom boxes when Sky didn't get the call backs, but I never have, and am not alone.

Sky will lose my subscription before they make me run crappy phone cables round the skirting of my nicely decorated house. :lesson:

I did the same, This week i got my bank statement in and my sky bill had an extra £36 on top of it, After phoning sky it turned out to be because i did not do a call back, So i dug the cables out and did the call back, after they confirmed that it was ok she went on to tell me i would get my money back and they also took another £36 out yesterday although she said she will give it back also.
After the phone call the phone wires went back it to the cupboard till the next time.

I did the same, This week i got my bank statement in and my sky bill had an extra £36 on top of it, After phoning sky it turned out to be because i did not do a call back, So i dug the cables out and did the call back, after they confirmed that it was ok she went on to tell me i would get my money back and they also took another £36 out yesterday although she said she will give it back also.
After the phone call the phone wires went back it to the cupboard till the next time.

How on earth did they justify charging you an extra £36 ? !
I ripped out my phone cable about 5 minutes after the Installation Technician ( not Engineer - He had no degree in Engineering :lesson: ) had left. This has never caused me any problems and I've never been charged any extra money.

I don't think sky can 'fine' anyone :)

I know people have been told told by Sky to connect their multiroom boxes when Sky didn't get the call backs, but I never have, and am not alone.

Sky will lose my subscription before they make me run crappy phone cables round the skirting of my nicely decorated house. :lesson:

Absolutely right - The satellite cable is bad enough ! What's all this "call back" rubbish about anyway ? Is there something sinister about it ? Why on earth do Sky want to call into our satellite boxes ? ? :eek:

You only pay £10 extra for multiroom.Sky request that both boxes are connected to the same phoneline to stop familly/neighbours etc sharing fees.If you have got away with it so far then you are lucky.

You only pay £10 extra for multiroom.Sky request that both boxes are connected to the same phoneline to stop familly/neighbours etc sharing fees.If you have got away with it so far then you are lucky.

Thanks for the info - What excuse do they use if you've only got one room Sky ? ? - They still try to say that you should always have the 'phone line connected to the box - I never have had because the Technician made a right botch job of running the 'phone cable so I ripped it out. :smashin:

Absolutely right - The satellite cable is bad enough ! What's all this "call back" rubbish about anyway ? Is there something sinister about it ? Why on earth do Sky want to call into our satellite boxes ? ? :eek:

Sky only really enforce it with multiroom.

Because you are getting a 2nd subscription for only £10, they want to make sure both boxes are in the same house. It is multi-room, not multi-house.

So having the box phone Sky every month allows them to check that both boxes are phoning from the same number (using caller id).

With only 1 box, they know they aren't loosing subscription revenue, so don't do anything to enforce that part of the 12 month initial contract for a subsidised box.

Single box without a phoneline is fine, multiroom without a phoneline is a big no-no. The extra £36 that was charged to the bill was a second subscripton because both boxes weren't connected to the phoneline. As sky fitters, we are classed as engineers not technecian because of the qualifaction we get during training. Would you like it if people started putting you down and claiming you were something else and dissing you because they can't something for nothing from your company.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom